[Accessibility] January Topics
janina at rednote.net
Tue Oct 26 08:42:32 PDT 2004
Goals & Topics
1 To achieve consensus on those standards which can be adopted to
support accessibility in the near term. The FSG's Accessibility
Workgroup is currently preparing specific proposals;
- Workgroup: Keyboard support (AccessX) - general preso, not break-outs
- Workgroup: Accessibility API [AT-SPI]
- Workgroup: Shared I/O:
* Braille libraries & common device drivers
2 Agree on engineering research which must yet be performed in order to
support all persons with disabilities;
- Workgroup: Shared I/O
* TTS: consistent hw/sw device
* Cross-environment i/o management (with SSML support) based on current focus and
* automated event reporting--distinct from the following:
- Audio requirements (1 hour - discussion to set requirements
to support TTS interfaces) and also speech reco interfaces in audio servers
like jack-audio-connection-kit, esound, arts, mas, gstreamer, etc.
- Magnification support standard?
- V2 presentation? (1 hour, 2 hours?) -- URC libraries, API, devices
- NEW WORKGROUP(S)?: AT SUPPORT COMPONENTS: MAG, SPEECH, BRAILLE, AUDIO,
- Other GUI/Console interoperability issues?
- Boot, BIOS, & kernel issues (including accessibility i/o device support)?
Console environment issues: Ncurses/slang/newt cursor handling, etc.
- Installation, configuration & update?
SMIL components and parsing mechanisms
Accessibileity support in open licensed Java (gcj?)
3 Identify areas where further targeted research is required before
engineering solutions can be put forward;
Voice Input Issues (including navigational implications--VoXML?)
Structured navigation/document support (DAISY)?
Embedded support (beyond V2URC)?
- Validation - how we turn accessibility supporting technologies into standards; validation test suites
Janina Sajka, Chair
Free Standards Group (FSG)
janina at freestandards.org Phone: +1 202.494.7040
More information about the Accessibility