[Accessibility] Minutes for September 1 Accessibility meeting

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 8 10:38:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 22:38, John Goldthwaite wrote:
> I mistook someone for Kris through the meeting so there are a number of
> question marks in the text.  Please check, I missed a lot of that person's
> comments so please let me know if you can add to this.   John
>

> Accessibility Working Group Meeting Sept. 1, 2004
>
> Doug Beattie
> John Goldthwaite
> Bill Haneman
> Earl Johnson
> Peter Korn
> George Kraft
> Janina Sajka
> Gunnar Schmidt
> Kris Van Hees
> Matthew Wilcox
>

> Gunnar gave a summary of the Unix Accessibility Forum at KDE Forum.
> Friday was the membership meeting of KDE
> On Saturday, Developer Forum began.  Janina arrived Saturday.  Two of the
> KDE accessibility developers arrived on Saturday evening.   Sunday afternoon
> was the first part of the Unix access forum.  3 talks  Aaron Levanthal,
> Peter Korn,  Harald Fernengel.-
> Aaron  - Accessibility on Unix will be 3 years behind Windows.  ViaVoice
> will be available in the near future.

George clarified that he _thought_ Aaron was speaking of the current
situation, i.e. UNix/Linux accessibility is currently about 3 years
behind Windows.

> Peter Korn- showed features of GOK and demonstrated that these features are
> ahead of what Windows has.
> Harald  showed preview of Qt4 with Gnopernicus.  Showed system that used
> DBUS instead of AT-SPI
>
> On Monday, several talks  didnt think they were relevant for discussion.
> Access ended.
> On Tuesday, Gunnar and his brother joined the usability forum.  There were
> discussions about writing guidelines for KDE developers.  Decided 3 tightly
> coupled documents were needed.
> 1- Community integration guidelines- which fonts should be used when doing
> screen shots when representing
> 2  Usability guide  points the developer should look for when developing
> applications and the reasoning behind them.
> 3  Accessibility guideline  points for developers and the reasoning behind
> them.
> 4  Checklist  point to references in other 3 documents.
>
> KDE work summit went on until the weekend.
>
> ?-  DBUS discussion  felt that CORBA lead to a lot of overhead for the
> desktop.  (more that I couldnt catch)
>
> Bill- to achieve all of are goals wed end up with having to implement
> something like CORBA.
> ?  orbit
> Bill- Dbus doesnt meet the need.  The
> ?  how to handle metadata  for situations like language switches
> Bill  we need to have these discussions in the working group.  We have this
> in ATK
> ?-

> Bill- thats part of the attribution API.  Anything in CSF is supported
> already.-
This refers to text attribution: "CSS" attributes are supported by AccessibleText's
TextAttribute API, which is also extensible to other attributes.

> Bill- I hope that Aaron is incorrect,  Im concerned about the DBUS
> discussion.  The reason for having this working group is to have consensus
> on cross toolkit solutions.  There was a Open Desktop accessibility working
> group and they decided to adopt Gnome methods.  It is a difficult for us
> working on different companies,  we have to look at the big picture.  Im
> glad to see the interest in accessibility guidelines in KDE, but why arent
> these Open Desktop documents that could be used by all the desktops?   Is
> there a reason that we cant adopt the Gnome guidelines?  We have to work on
> technical consensus
>
> Janina- we need to have a discussion about how we do that.  It seems that
> Accessibility isnt active in Open Desktop.  Things look good for the
> meeting in January where we can work on this.
> Bill-
> Earl- what was the problem
> Bill- Gunnar gave an informative report about the KDE forum.  It sounded
> like the KDE forum is proposing to repeat Gnome
> Peter-  They were not trying to set up something exclusionary, thats why
> they were called it the Unix Accessibility Forum.
> Bill- It doesnt seem the KDE development is happening in a free desktop
> space.

What I meant here is that the current KDE development does not seem to
be happenning in "the" Free Desktop space, or one like it, i.e.
freedesktop.org; i.e. the development is still focussed on the KDE
platform as opposed to shared development and development of shared
libraries, drivers, and standards.

> Peter- how do
> ?- we need something that defines our existing guidelines.   Were trying to
> move the existing product and merge the Gnome standards to come to a common
> standard.
> Janina- I thought the emphasis was on how to be interoperate and not be
> competitive.  How to do that will take some time.  This seems to be a
> developers process within the KDE community to get specific guidance on
> accessibility.  That could help us to move to a more unified effort under
> free desktop.  I hope were not missing things in translations
> Bill- once that task is done for KDE,  there is less motivation to take it
> to the next step of creating a shared document.  If we try to create that it
> might lead to some consensus.
> ?- so far KDE has
>
> Bill- free desktop documents take effort to define, Im not saying KDE ,
> the guidelines have to be written.
??

> Janina- we have much of this effort in our roadmap.  We need to have a
> discussion for next week to see how we can get that.  Develop more specific
> proposals on how to move forward names of who does what free desktop is a
> Bill- its a very informal organization.  Its a resource issue.

e.g. easy to get a project included in freedesktop.org, but no resources
automatically come with such inclusion; projects must be
self-resourcing.

> Peter- my impression was that Qt4 was very much ATK based.  Hed done some
> investigation with DBUS.
> ? -. . Would lower overhead for the AT applications, there are fewer
> dependencies.
> Bill- that may be okay in the long term but
actually writing code in that
area at this time may undermine our standards efforts and current work.