[Accessibility] PROPOSAL: Accessible Document

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 20 16:51:03 PDT 2005

Hi Catherine,

To echo what Bill Haneman said - AccessibleDocument is something we've thought
about for a while for AT-SPI.  An effort to create a cross-platform
AccessibleDocument for Windows and Linux (and perhaps Macintosh?) is a noble
goal, but I fear it is tilting at windmills and will suck a lot of time to no
useful end.  All attempts previously to reach convergence with Apple and/or
Microsoft and the UNIX accessibility work in AT-SPI have failed.

I think a gap analysis is a useful thing to do - especially to understand
whether and how AccessibleDocument should look as compared to a container of
text and other things (see Mozilla, StarOffice Writer, etc. implementations of
ATK/AT-SPI right now).

It isn't clear to me that the FSG is the appropriate place for this.  As I
understand it, FSG's charter is to adopt existing standards, not create new
ones.  As I said, a gap analysis seems to me a very appropriate undertaking,
and feeding that back into the GNOME Accessibility Project the next logical
step (doing so publically on <gnome-accessibility-devel at gnome.org>).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team