[Accessibility] moving a hard drive

Sandy Gabrielli spiraljetty at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 12:19:59 PDT 2005

I have a general question that maybe someone in the
group can help me with.

I have 2 systems that have the same distro of linux
but different hardware.  The motherboard died on one
system that has some important data.

I want to take the hard drive from the dead system and
put in in the working system, mount it as a second
drive and recover the data.

Someone told me to look at the dmesg log to see what
the reboot on the new system calls the second drive
and mount it that way.

Is there a simpler way or tool that I can use to do
this?  Has anyone had experience with this?  How risky
is it, will I lose the data?

Thanks!

Sandy Gabrielli
Senior Software Engineer, Archimedes Hawaii Project
University of Hawaii
879 N King Street
Honolulu, HI 96817-4514
Ph: (808) 832-3729