[Accessibility] July 13 minutes part 1

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Thu Aug 4 05:34:05 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2005 20:44 schrieb George Kraft:
> If the accessibility team has LSB desktop questions, then they should
> email lsb-desktop at freestandards.org  However, I can tell you that the
> LSB workgroup believes Qt is out of scope for them due to the QPL
> license.  OpenMotif adoption is blocked in the LSB for similar
> circumstances.

I don't have a problem with the LSB rules for libraries per se, because these
rules say that only libraries that have evolved as "clear de-facto standard"
can be included in the LSB.

It is obvious that there is no "clear de-facto standard" toolkit for Linux.
Nevertheless there is a great expectation among Gnome developers that the LSB
will include Gtk+ as the standard toolkit, see for example
http://tieguy.org/blog/index.cgi/419

A lot of people are currently implying that the LSB will reinterprets its
rules to include Gtk+ at the exclusion of Qt. This would mean that the LSB
will cease to be a standard for all Linux distributions, and become a
standard for Gnome/Linux instead.

Of course you are right that this should be discussed on the lsb-desktop
working group list, and I am planning to subscribe to that list and find out
whether these are mischaracterisations or whether the LSB is indeed heading
for a Gnome-only future.

The reason I have brought this up here is that this topic will have a strong
influence on the success of our work. If the LSB decides to exclude
Qt/KDE-based distributions and ISVs from their focus, then this will destroy
the credibility of the FSG for the excluded people.

This means that this working group would need to consider whether the FSG will
still be the right parent organisation for a working group focused on
multiple toolkits.

Olaf