[Accessibility] Re: Q

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Thu Aug 4 06:04:26 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 4. August 2005 14:47 schrieb Bill Haneman:
> As long as the lsb-desktop group can explain the rationale behind the
> current situation with regard to licensing, we can avoid the appearance
> of favoritism.

The LSB rules clearly state that only libraries can be standardised that have
evolved as a "clear de-facto standard". Standardising Gtk would therefore
imply that Qt is irrelevant for the Linux desktop, because they serve the
same purpose.

I am sure that people will interpret it this way. In fact, I know that people
are already claiming that ISVs have to use Gtk because it is the toolkit that
will shortly become the blessed one by the LSB.

I don't mind changing the rules to include libraries that are widely used but
no "clear de-facto standard" - but in this case the rules shouldn't be
changed to exclusively favour one toolkit to the exclusion of another.

Olaf