[Accessibility] Re: Q

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 4 06:10:35 PDT 2005

Olaf Schmidt wrote:

>Am Donnerstag, 4. August 2005 14:47 schrieb Bill Haneman:
>

>>As long as the lsb-desktop group can explain the rationale behind the
>>current situation with regard to licensing, we can avoid the appearance
>>of favoritism.
>>

>The LSB rules clearly state that only libraries can be standardised that have
>evolved as a "clear de-facto standard". Standardising Gtk would therefore
>imply that Qt is irrelevant for the Linux desktop, because they serve the
>same purpose.

I don't think so - something being a "clear de-facto standard" is not
sufficient for LSB standardization.  What's necessary is the clear
communication that the issues with Qt have to do with the _other_
requirements, which is what I think George was saying.

>I am sure that people will interpret it this way. In fact, I know that people
>are already claiming that ISVs have to use Gtk because it is the toolkit that
>will shortly become the blessed one by the LSB.

That seem to me to be a matter of getting rid of FUD.

Bill