[Accessibility] Re: Q

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 4 10:30:21 PDT 2005

Hi Olaf,

I wonder if some of what is going on here is the meaning/interpretation of
"de-facto standard" (or even "clear de-facto standard").  If I make the
statement "GTK+ is *a* clear de-facto standard for doing desktop graphics"
instead of the statement "GTK+ is *the* clear de-facto standard for doing
desktop graphics" does it make a difference?  Because I believe that "Qt is
*a* clear de-facto standard for doing desktop graphics" too.

Gasoline and diesel are both clear, de-facto standards for fueling automobiles
and trucks.  Only gasoline is a clear, de-facto standard for fueling
motorcycles.  Hydrogen is no-where near any kind of standard.  Neither is
bio-diesel (though that may change).

To me, "clear de-facto standard" doesn't mean "the only one that can exist".
Rather, it means that in the marketplace (of ideas, of whatever), enough folks
  use it in the same way that it has become a standard in fact.  There are
enough successful applications using both Qt and GTK+, and enough new ones in
active development, and enough Linux distros using them both, that I think
they are both fairly called "de-facto standards".

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team