[Accessibility] Re: Q

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Mon Aug 8 14:51:27 PDT 2005

Hi George!

> The LSB refuses to standardize on the Qt toolkit

Does this mean that my wish to cooperate with the LSB is a lost cause, and
that KDE should oppose the LSB instead of trying to find a solution?

> which would require some to enter into a contractual agreement to use the
> runtime.

Qt is GPL-lisensed. The QPL allows to use Qt with a number of other OSI
approved licenses withg entering a contractual agreement. For proprietary
development, RAND terms are available.

> The QPL license does not meet the LSB's acceptance criteria.
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/policy/policies.html#POLICY05

I know that the LSB chose license criteria which are incompatible with Qt.
But this doesn't change the fact that if the LSB rekindles the GUI wars by
including a single toolkit, then this will loose the FSG a lot of
credibility.

Olaf