[Accessibility] Re: Q

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 8 15:49:57 PDT 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 12:18, George Kraft wrote:
> > Thanks to all of you for explaining the LSB's view on it. I hope you can
> > also understand why the current approach of the LSB is not acceptable for
> > KDE.
>
> The LSB refuses to standardize on the Qt toolkit which would require
> some to enter into a contractual agreement to use the runtime.  The QPL
> license does not meet the LSB's acceptance criteria.

i just wish the LSB would actually get involved with documenting the
real-world ABIs so that vendors can coordinate and give ISVs something
dependable to work on rather than trying to dictate to developers what to
use. and yes, that is exactly what it is doing.

if the LSB were a bit more pragmatic, there'd be nothing standing in the way
of standardizing all sorts of useful ABIs, like Oracle's database client
interface or Lotus Notes' APIs on linux or ... instead we have a "zero
monetary cost" approach that i find somewhat incomprehensible. it's not like
someone has to use every single thing in the LSB, but it certainly is more
difficult to rely on things that aren't in the LSB should the LSB ever
achieve it's long term goals.

we could accomplish so much more with an LSB, or LSB-like organization, that
had a more practical (to its audience) methodology.

--
Aaron J. Seigo