[Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-kbd] Keyboard Access Functional Specification v0.71

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Tue Aug 16 10:55:42 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Monday 15 August 2005 19:33, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working the relevant parts of KDE in order to make KDE
> conform to the current version of our Keyboard Access Functional
> Specification (v0.71).
>[...]

I have found an additional statement in the specification that sounds like
there could be a mistake.

For the repeat keys setting the repeat delay may be anything from 0.1
seconds to 5 seconds. At the same time the specification requires me to
support a repeat delay of 0.02 to 50 characters per second. The 0.02
characters per seconds mean that every character takes 50 seconds.
According to my understanding these two ranges of values do not match with
each other:

If the 0.02 characters per seconds are actually needed by someone (which I
doubt) that person might also want to have a repeat delay of 50 seconds.
However, I suspect that originally 0.2 characters per seconds (one
character every five seconds) were intended. This would also be supported
by the request that the granularity at the low end of the range is 0.3
characters per second.

For KDE 3.5 I will use 0.2 characters per second as minimum unless someone
convinces me that the 0.02 characters per second setting is indeed needed
by someone. (The feature freeze is mid of next week.)

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package