[Accessibility] Conformance Statement Draft--For Wednesday's Telecon

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Fri Aug 19 07:50:29 PDT 2005

After rereading the FSGA Conformance Statement, I believe it is
mislabeled.  I believe what has been written is the benefits of
compliances.

http://freestandards.org/pipermail/accessibility/2005-August/001321.html

Below is the FSG Certification Authority's definition of conformance,
compliance used for the, and certification with examples with respect to
the LSB product standards.

http://lsbbook.gforge.freestandards.org/appendix-resources.html#GLOSSARY

CONFORMANCE requirements are stated in a specification (they are an
agreed set of rules defining what it means to meet the requirements of a
specification). [there should be a lot of "shall provide" and "may
provide" statements one must follow.]

Example: http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_2.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/implementation.html

COMPLIANCE is a claim of conformance.

Example: http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/Home/Company/News%2Band%2BEvents/Red%2BHat%2BPress%2BRelease%2BArchive/2004/Red%2BHat%2BEnterprise%2BLinux%2Bv.3%2BHas%2BBecome%2BFirst%2BVendor%2Bto%2BAchieve%2BLSB%2BInternationalization%2BRuntime%2BEnvironment%2BCertification.html

CERTIFICATION is proof of compliance (by some agreed measure, sometimes
this is not total proof, sometimes there is an attached warranty,
sometimes there is a logo or mark that can be used in association with a
certified product).

Example: http://www.linuxbase.org/test/registered.html

George (gk4)