[Accessibility] Re: Localized braille (Was: Gnopernicus and ISO-Latin2 characters)

Sébastien Sablé sable at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 26 02:12:10 PDT 2005

Hi Samuel,

I would be very happy to see more cooperation on this subject of
international Braille transcription. I have started to harvest
information about Braille in different languages on the Web or from
various mailing-lists/associations/braille authorities, and this has
proven to be quite difficult for many reasons. More collaboration on
this would certainly make things go faster.

I have put all the documentation that I found so far on this web page:
http://libbraille.org/braille.php

I also started to collaborate with Bill Haneman from the gnome-braille
project, so that we now have a common format for Braille tables (not
perfect, but a nice start):
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-braille/README-table-format?rev=1.1&view=markup

Bill and I have also started to generate quite a few tables using this
common format which are now in gnome-braille and libbraille:
http://libbraille.org/tables/

I have also worked on an online Braille transcription tool which has
proven quite usefull to test those tables with people who want to help
improve a table but may not necessarily want to install software on
their computer just to check that the transcription is done ok:
http://libbraille.org/translator.php

Concerning the dependencies of a common transcription library, I am
afraid it would be difficult to do without glib: there are few good
portable libraries that I know which can handle unicode (IBM ICU, Apache
apr, Qt...)  and glib is one of the most complete and IMHO one of the
most commonly found on a standard Linux installation.

Anyway I am looking forward the coming discussions we may have on an
ally mailing-list.

regards

--
Sébastien Sablé