[Accessibility] Accessibility Conference January 25, 2005

john goldthwaite jgoldthwaite at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 14:47:47 PST 2005

Accessibility Conference 	January 25, 2005

Attendees:
Al Gilman – W3c protocols &
Bill Haneman – Sun & Gnome accessibility, AT-SPI,
keyboard group
Marc Mulcahy  (gnome-speech)

Janina Sajka
George Kraft
Marcos Gambra – Suse, Suse Gnome
Jonathan Blanford (Red Hat, GNOME)

Harald Fernengel KDE
Olaf Schmidt  (KDE accessibility)
Gunnar Schmidt (KDE accessibility, Kmouth)
C     Libre- brai

Aaron Seigo - KDE
Neil Scott – Archimedes
Kevin Gill – Archimedes

Right side –
Jan Buchal  (speech-dispatcher, BrailleCom)
Milan Zamazal  (speech-dispatcher)
Tomas Cerha  (BrailleCom, speech-dispatcher)
Hynek Hanke  (speech-dispatcher)

Larry Weiss IBM
John Goldthwaite Georgia Tech CATEA

Peter Korn – Sun
Will Walker – Xwindows access, keyboard navigation,
Java Access, free tts synthesizer
Sebastien Hinderer < (brltty)
Samuel Thibault  (brltty)

Doug Beatie  - Free Standards Group
Ed Price -  Wireless RERC, V2
Mike Paciello

Kate Gnide - N

Stuart Anderson  -  LSB project
Frank Carnical -  Syracuse,  Linux program

Phone-
Earl Johnson – Sun Accessibility program office
founder, Xwindows accesss
Pete Brunet  - IBM accessibility for Linux,

IRC-
Kurt Reiser   -
Matthew Wilcox
Keith Packard  50% (X)

Gradimir Kragic (South Slavic Disability Website)
Gary Cramblitt (KDE, KTTS)

Kris Van Hees (FSG)
Deedra Waters 50% (FSG, Gentoo)
Bill Laplant (v2)
Sebastien Sable (libbrl)

George Kraft – Free standards group
Presentation on a11y website
http://accessibility.freestandards.org/%7Egk4/a11y/stds/

Consensus standardization of de facto implementation,
No design, just standardize what is in practice

Specifications
	Multiple distro implementations
	Public review
	DocBook SGML formatted – free

Certification
	Conformance testing of candidate
	TETware – test environment
	GPL or Artistic licensed tests, all free

Specification Tiers (informal)
	Runtime environments
	Development Environment
	User Environment
	System Management
Most standards have been in the Run Time area

LSB deliverables
	LSB generic and Architecture specs for IA32. IA64,
PPC64, S390,
	Conformance tests

LSB Timeline
	Large number of small releases working toward a 1.0
version

LSB Marketing – articles, interviews, press releases,
tutorials, Conference presence, Workgroup
presence(freedesktop.org, x.org, ISO) we need to self
promote.

30 Linux releases are LSB certified, all major Linux
distributions have adopted it.  LSB 2.0.1 being
adopted by ISO – have path to international standard

Expansion – add new API’s
LSB partnerships- packaging, desktop,
We can turn over to LSB to merge into the broader
picture of LSB standards.

LSB desktop – new desktop spec for LSB 3.0, specifying
ATK v1.9.0,
www.linuxbase.org/LSBWiki/

Weaknesses- scope of LSB is not broad enough, added
C++ to LSB 2, n
Need to improve test case coverage, takes time to
write
LSB is over committed given resources
ISVs too skeptical to adopt

Open Internationalization workgroup
-	Globalization spec.
-	-LSB I18N runtime certification, adopted by Red Hat
RHES3 and SLES9

Accessibility Workgroup
3 subgroups – Keyboard, AT-SPI, I/O
Keep specification scope small and manageable
Defer implementation and systems integration to GAP
Invent/design as little as possible – work with what
is in GAP

Documentation
Source code control

Work on APIs and ABIs, make sure has description, what
it returns,

IDL? Does ISV application use the ABI?
-
Conformance Test
POSIX.3 test methodology, special return codes
TETware and Open source test environment

Six ways to pass- Pass, Warning feature deprecated,
FIP need further info

TETworks Language
C, C++, Java, Sh, Ksh, Perl, Tcl

X11 testing p binary LSB X window test suite
VSM5 – Motif conformance test suite for widgets
Can to GUI testing with the suite.  Lots of
permutations.  Can take a month to write a test for a
single function.

A11y Recommendations
Add Project management workgroup and subgroups
-	roadmap of spec and testing deliverables
-	weekly subgroup calls
-	Action item tracking

Establish formal A11y steering committee- review work,
is it ready to release to FSG.  Need steering
committee to review work, make sure its working
Establish formal GAP steering committee

Bill – those are the
Peter- outside of scope of the group, if we want
formality it should be at the freedesktop.org level.

Examples of deliverables
Specification – Keyboard, GAP, I/O)
Conformance tests
Application A11y Style Guide – do presentations and
articles
Application A11y How-To Guide
All deliverables complement implementation

Action Items
-Publish 0.1 of individual specification for Keyboard
in 1st quarter
Get started on conformance tests
FSG Booth at LinuxWorld in February
DDC/OLS presentation in June