[Accessibility] Draft minutes for January 5 Accessibility Conference call

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Jan 5 12:25:41 PST 2005

Accessibility Conference Call Minutes January 5, 2005

Attendees (East to West):
Gunnar Schmidt
Harald Fernengel
Bill Haneman
Matthew Wilcox
Janina Sajka
John Goldthwaite
Randy Horwitz
George Kraft
Doug Beattie
Peter Korn
Earl Johnson
Sandy Gabrielli

1. Welcome and Agenda Review

2. Review of minutes
	No objections - Approved as posted.

3. Announcements

We have a teleconference number that we can use at the conference. We may
need to get an 800 number, currently it is a toll number in Denver.  Hoping
to use
Voice over during the conference so that the 800 number is not needed.
Groups can use the number during the conference as long as we don’t have
conflicts.  Let Janina know if your session will be needed it.
Do we want to get an 800 number?

Bill- you talked about Internet access – audio stream?
Janina- there will be an audio stream.  I have someone to do that.
We need several more rscp’s – several people have volunteered- Canada,
London

Bill- a London wouldn’t be a cost effective for people in Europe who are
outside London.
Janina-  we’ll give this some testing before the conference.  We can use it
for subgroup meetings.
Bill- this is in parallel to the work Sandy is doing with Flumotion – that’s
just one way?
Janina- yes, the two way conversations will be the over the teleconference
line. We want to be able to have live conversation.  There may be too much
of a lag on the internet system.
Sandy- will be testing it with the T3 system,
Janina- Since the phone is up and running, we could test it at the end of
this call.
We can dial into the number and see how synchronous we are.
-	will have cameras and staff to run them
-	microphones
-	floating microphone.

All these go to computer as audio stream and video stream for compression.
Streams will got UH for distribution.  Asterix software.
Sandy-
Janina- I’ve got the experts lined up to configure it.
We need a fast link to the university, talk to them about the quality of
service.
Doug- it’s a Gigabit Internet line to Hawaii isn’t it?
Janina- yes, the only bottleneck may be the encoding on the machines with
P3. One more thing- I heard from the travel agent and he said that not many
people have contacted him. He said the Princess will run more than we
thought.

Doug – the Ohana East is a lot less than the Sheraton Princess and it is
right across the street.
Janina- I haven’t done the math to see if we can afford the Princess for the
folks we’re funding.

Janina-Status on our funds - we have got passwords from NSF.  Janet
requested the funds on Friday and was told that it would take three business
days so we should have it today.  If so, we should be able to begin
distributing funds.   Will send out confirmation this afternoon.

Janina- we have several other items on the agenda.  We need to discuss what
we want to accomplish in our calls before the conference.  We assigned
people to workshop sessions, to either lead the session or to find someone
appropriate to lead it.  Let me know if assignments are changed.   Look at
the minutes from last week to see if you have been assigned.  Doug will
resend the minutes.
Bill Laplant will not be able to come due to medical problems, he will be
having surgery.  Al Gilman and possibly Ed Price will be coming to represent
the V2 committee.   I’m having second thoughts about putting Braille on the
last day.   We have people coming that can make the decisions about Braille
so it may be better to move the Braille session to an earlier slot.

Earl- are you wondering if we should remove V2 since Bill Laplant will not
coming and move Braille to that slot?

Janina- Yes, the people that can make the decision
Bill- don’t we have a time zone issue with Mario?
Janina- you’re right, that’s why its in the morning.
Bill- we could move the AT-SPI slot and put Braille in that morning slot.
If we move future issues to Thursday, that puts it just before lunch.
Otherwise we could just switch V2 and futures.  We could even fold V2 into
the futures discussion.
Janina- it certainly futures, it is fairly near term, but its definitely not
here to day.   Am I wrong to think we will some time to discuss Braille
early in the conference
Bill- yes, but the problem with time zones outweighs it.  We need the
participation of the people in Europe.  My vote is for swapping V2 with
futures but I can see moving AT-SPI and doing the swap.
Janina- we don’t need to decide today.  We don’t have to print or Braille
anything until after the meeting on the 19th.   Okay, Outcomes and
Leadership
  In addition to outcomes from the Conference, we need to think
about outcomes from the next three phone calls.

Lets start posting articles to the website, use html or text not pdf.  Html
would be good so that we can have hyperlinks.
Earl- with a machine be available for demos?
Janina- I was hoping people will use their own laptops.
Peter- you can use my laptop
Doug- will we have wireless internet access?
Janina- we will have wireless access and some CAT5 lines.  We should have
good Internet access.  Sandy has a number of short additions for website on
document preparation guidelines.

Peter – have we come to a conclusion on the schedule change?
Janina- I’m not comfortable to make a proposal until I’ve got time to look
at the agenda carefully.  I can’t do that during the meeting.
Peter- I need to think about it more myself before making a proposal.
Janina- we can think about it and decide next week or on the 19th.  In terms
of the assignments we make at the last call.  The person leading the
sessions should also be responsible for collecting position papers and other
documents for posting to the website.

Network access
Janina- the university will be providing us with a gateway.  Let’s test the
dial up.

Testing conference number-
Break up when people talk at once.
Echo.
Bill- it could be latency, I notice when I try to speak other people start
talking so my signal may not have been delayed getting to them.
Earl-  its breaking up
Janina- it’s a bandwidth issue, will try to get it increased.
We’ve got eleven people on the line.   I seems to work okay with fewer
people.  May be okay for five or six.
Tested getting off one at a time.
Still an echo but speech is clearer –
less break up with seven people, but still getting an echo

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org