[Accessibility] Draft minutes of Accessibility Conference Call January 12, 2005

John Goldthwaite john.goldthwaite at catea.org
Wed Jan 12 12:53:41 PST 2005

Accessibility Conference Call Minutes January 12, 2005

Attendees (East to West):
Gunnar Schmidt
Bill Haneman
Matthew Wilcox
Janina Sajka
John Goldthwaite
Randy Horwitz
George Kraft
Doug Beattie
Earl Johnson
Sandy Gabrielli

1. Welcome and Agenda Review

2. Review of minutes
	No objections - Approved as posted.

3. Actions-  Problem with travel agent, Janina fired him.  We shouldn’t have
problems getting rooms.  They seem to have plenty of rooms.  The agent was
giving us prices that were higher than others.  We weren’t getting the rooms
reserved. We are going directly to the hotel.  People paying their own way
have made other reservations.  The rooms we were paying out of NSF funds
were not booked yet.  Getting those booked  is a top priority.  Have talked
to the sales office at the Ohana East, should be able to get the same price
or lower.  Arrangement was that we would pay in advance by check after they
give us an invoice.  We would still like to do that.
Earl- what actions do individuals need to take?
Janina- None, we are still planning on reserving the rooms as a group.
Those paying their own way should have made their own travel arrangements.
I will start sending emails to everyone that is coming.  The emergency
tickets were handled by John.  Free Standards Group doesn’t have a corporate
credit card and it would have taken to long to set up a wire transfer
account so John paid and is being reimbursed.

Sandy-  I would like to make a call and take care of the transportation.  I
want to check on the status.  Will call back.

Janina-  George Kraft has offered to provide the teleconference facilities
for the meeting.  We found that the Asterix server worked well for about 6
or 7.  That will be a backup.   Next- we do not yet have a functioning
streaming server that we can test in Hawaii.  We need to work on a plan B.
We do not want to stream in jpeg, want to use an open format.  But the
university has a teleconference system in the room, maybe we can split the
stream and use open format to compress it.   If we can bring the data from
the Apple to the streaming server, do the compression and broadcast from it.
Without being there to test this, its hard to know if it will work.

Doug- can Sandy send the output for us to look at.
Janina-  they had a machine I worked on through ssh that was clearly not
fast enough.  That is the machine with the PC100 memory we were talking
about.
Doug- when does the Open Source conference start?
Janina- on Monday,
Doug-  we should be able to get one of them to help.

Janina- we may be able to use the frame grabber on the MAC and use the
server to do the streaming.  That machine has the horsepower to do the
streaming and compression.

Janina- My count is that we will have 29 people in Hawaii, possibly 34.
There are 4 people in Canada and 2 in Europe that will be attending by
phone.  We could have had more participation from Asia.  We may have one
person coming from Australia.  We are still under budget thanks to low
airfare.  We should be okay on the budget.  We’re getting $99 at the Ohana
East, $135 at the Princess.

Sandy- I have the van reserved.

Last adjustments to the Agenda- proposal to swap the V2 session on day 3 to
the Braille tty session on Friday.  Move V2 to Friday morning and Braille
tty to Thursday.
Have breakout in parallel with Braille tty.

Bill- I thought we needed Braille tty in the morning so that the European
people, Mario Lang and Dave Milke, could attend.  We need Sebastian, also.

Janina- Both Sebastians will be with us.
Doug-  George wants to participate in the Magnification session but it is
concurrent with the his logistics sesson.

Bill- why are we moving V2?
Janina- we wanted to get a presentation over the net from Europe.  This will
be the technical presentation about how V2 works.  We can have the slides in
Hawaii so we don’t need a full dmc session.  I wanted to have one of the
engineers who have been doing the code to do the presentation.  Originally
we wanted to have the V2 Chairman to come but he has health problems.
Instead, we will have two technical people.   The objection to moving is
that the telecon people might not be able to take part at that time.

Move Logistics to parallel Braille or V2.

Doug-  George asked that we move his session on parallel to V2 so we know he
’s not interested in it.  George has 2 hours scheduled for the session. V2
is just an hour.
Janina- it is not a full time match, no matter how you look at it..

Bill- is there someone else that can co-chair the logistics session.
Janina- that’s a possibility – we have invited Stuart Anderson and he could
do that.
Bill- 10:15 breakout session might be something the European Braille people
could attend.  We’ve got BIOS/xserver Thursday at 1:15.  I might make sense
to move George’s logistics session to that time.
Doug- move into the 10:15 and the V2 session. That would be continuous with
lunch in the middle.

Bill- IF we move V2 to Friday morning, we could put the Braille as a
breakout parallel to logistics at 10:15.  Slide the BIOS, xserver into the
after lunch slot.
Janina- that’s Matthew Wilcox session, can you attend at that time?
Bill- I don’t see Europe participating in a 2:15 session.  So that’s why I
though that if Braille is shifted out of 8:30 session, it needs to stay a
morning session.
Doug- can we cut any more time at the beginning of the day?
Janina- move the after lunch
Bill- we said we did not want to do that.  I can see sliding the AT-SPI to
an hour later, then it would open up a slot for V2.  I don’t want to do too
much interleaving,
Move V2 to Thursday AM, followed by AT-SPI wrap up.  Then have BIOS and
xserver in the afternoon.   That still gives a problem for Matthew.

Doug- can we start any earlier?   Have George do his after lunch.
Janina- the staffing needs at the conference center are determining our
start times.  We have to start at 8:30

Bill- leave Braille where it is, put George’s session parallel to
BIOS/xserver.  Creates another problem, puts AT-SPI at a time when Michael
Meeks couldn’t attend, 3AM London time.  He could be there if we leave it
where it is.
Randy- this is a case of prioritization, need to decide who we need the
most.
Doug- lets try to get Stuart to take George’s place in the logistics.
Bill- how important is it to have the European person deliver the V2 talk?
Janina- I think we really want to hear Gottfried’s explanation of V2.  I’m
not too worried about the European Braille people be there since people from
their companies will be attending in person.

Doug- if we can’t get someone to take George’s slot.
Janina-  leave AT-SPI in the morning, we need to be fresh to discuss it.  We
need an engineering presentation from Europe so that needs to say in the
morning.  Move the logistics session up against Braille tty to resolve
George’s problem.
Randy- that seems the logical way to go.
Janina- we’ll still have someone from each of the Braille groups at the
meeting.  Tried to get one of them to chair at session and they declined, I
may end up chairing it by default.

Final:
1 Braille moves from Friday morning to Thursday after lunch and is a
breakout not plenary
2 Logistics moves from late Friday, to Thursday 1:00 after lunch parallel
with Braille.
3 V2 is Friday 8:45 to 10 after intro at 8:30

Janina-  that makes Friday all future oriented with road mapping in the
afternoon.  Friday is all plenary- we’ve got all the break out session in
the middle two days now.

Randy- are all the breakout sessions equipped with telephones?  (YES)  We
should be able to come up with another teleconference number.

Doug- we no longer need three rooms for breakouts.

Randy- so we should be able to accommodate all the folks who are
teleconferencing.

Earl- how to you upload documents?
Doug- that’s in the December 22 minutes, email George if you need help.
Janina- Aloha, all.

John Goldthwaite
Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access, Georgia Tech
john.goldthwaite at catea.org