Another draft [was Re: [Accessibility] Statement of Intent]

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Fri Jul 29 09:05:24 PDT 2005

Hi everyone:

Rather than just send this to Olaf I thought I'd post it here for
comments.  Olaf, I hope I didn't leave out any of your important
points.  Please revise and send the next iteration :-)

regards

Bill
===

"We are members of the Gnome and KDE Accessibility Projects, and also
the Free Standards Group's Accessibility Workgroup.  We would like to
clarify the current plans and intent of our projects with respect to
interoperability and standardization where the KDE and Gnome toolkits
are concerned, and feel that the following statement represents a
consensus among the membership of these groups.

While some of the accessibility interfaces being discussed as candidates
for standardization within the FSG Workgroup, primarily AT-SPI,
originated in Gnome, we as a group are committed to the
toolkit-neutrality of accessibility interfaces.  To do otherwise would
limit end-user choice and harm the cause of accessibility.    A key goal
of the ongoing standardization effort, which is inclusive rather than
exclusive, is long-term interoperability of accessibility solutions for
the free desktop.

The current KDE4 roadmap calls for KDE interoperability with existing
Gnome assistive technologies via bridging to the AT-SPI.  The Gnome team
is excited about this committment and the willingness of the KDE
developers to integrate Gnome technologies in cases where they offer
immediate benefit to the user.  At the same time, we are actively
working together to develop a future strategy which minimizes or
eliminates dependencies of KDE accessibility on Gnome libraries, or vice
versa.  The current plan of action, which was agreed to at a
face-to-face meeting of the Free Standards Group Accessibility Workgroup
earlier this year, is to standardize on a set of interfaces (most likely
as IDL), and allow for the possibility of multiple conformant
implementations as long as basic interoperability requirements are met.
This will allow for increased technology sharing and help "future-proof"
our standardization efforts.

best regards

Bill Haneman
Olaf Schmidt