[Accessibility] Gnome accessibility guides - questions

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 15 07:59:52 PDT 2005

Pete Brunet wrote:

> When looking for a standard on developing accessble Gnome apps (for
> developers creating applications) I found the following guides.
>
> - Gnome 2.8 Desktop Accessibility Guide at
> http://gnome.org/learn/access-guide/2.8/

There's a 2.10 version posted on the main gnome.org/learn page too.

> - How to Develop Accessible Linux Applications at
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Accessibility-Dev-HOWTO/index.html
> - Gnome Accessibility for Developers at
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/guide/gad/index.html
>
> Some questions...
>
> - Are there more?

Please see other documents at developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/, and
developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/presentations,
(such as the testing info, "Hints on Testing Accessibility",
"Accessibility Sanity Test Suite", and a number of presentations in
"Meeting Notes", most notably this one:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/presentations/GUAD3C/making-apps-accessible/start.html

> - Should they be collapsed into one?

> - Is there a 2.10 equivalent of the first one?  Or should it be titled
> 2.x?

yes, there's a 2.10 version.

> - Is an official standards effort in progress?

Don't know quite what you mean (this group is the only relevant
'standards' group that I know of).
However there is stuff in the GNOME HIG (Human Interface Guidelines),
and we hope to make the pointers from the HIG to the 'GNOME
Accessibility for Developers' doc more explicit in the future.  Mainly
it needs someone to do the job.