[Accessibility] See Sun at CSUN 2005!

Peter Korn peter.korn at sun.com
Fri Mar 11 11:49:46 PST 2005

Sun Microsystems, Inc. returns to the CSUN Conference on Technology and
Persons with Disabilities at the Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel next week.

This year Sun is highlighting our now shipping and accessible Solaris 10 UNIX
operating system for Intel, AMD, and SPARC-based computer systems.  The
graphical user interface of Solaris 10 is the Sun Java Desktop System, which
in turn is based on the open source GNOME desktop.  This desktop incorporates
all of Sun's work on making the GNOME desktop accessible - including the open
source accessibility architecture Sun contributed to GNOME, the open source
Gnopernicus screen reader from BAUM, and the award winning open source
on-screen keyboard from the University of Toronto.

We are also highlighting 3rd party accessibility support for this architecture
from Adobe Systems (Adobe will preview Adobe Reader 7, an accessible PDF
viewer for UNIX systems), and Oracle Corporation (demonstrations of their
database user interfaces developed in the accessible Java application
environment).

At our sessions in and our booth, we will showcase the latest in Java
accessibility, including the support Dolphin is developing in their premier
SuperNova screen reader/magnifier which is working with Java applications as
well as the StarOffice/OpenOffice.org office suite.  We will also demonstrate
the latest improvements in the Java Access Helper, a developer tool to help
locate and fix accessibility issues in Java applications.

The Sun Accessibility team invites everyone who has an interest in finding
out the latest information about accessibility to UNIX systems, including
access to Solaris and GNU/Linux, to join us for our in-depth presentations.
Attached below is information about our sessions.  We also invite you to visit
us at our booth (#419 & #420 in the Houston room of the Marriott Hotel), and
see the latest in Java technology accessibility and access to Java
applications from the Microsoft Windows desktop.

On behalf of Sun Microsystems,

Peter Korn
Sun Microsystems Accessibility team
access at sun.com
http://www.sun.com/access

    CSUN Conference on Technology and Persons with Disabilities
       UNIX Accessibility sessions, Thursday March 16th, 2005
   Atlanta-Boston rooms of the Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel
                  hosted by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  2:00pm-3:00pm
  Topics in Java[TM] Accessibility
  -------------------------------
  In this presentation we will demonstrate the latest in accessibility for
  the Java platform.  We will show the latest in Windows assistive technology
  support for Java, and are delighted to welcome Dolphin systems to
  demonstrate their upcoming version of SuperNova with support for Java
  accessibility and StarOffice.  We will show the latest version of the
  Java Accessibility Helper, a developer tool for testing accessibility of
  Java applications.  We will also demonstrate the latest developments in
  the open source and free text-to-speech and speech recognition technologies
  FreeTTS and Sphinx - both written in the Java programming language.
  Finally we will discuss techniques for deploying accessible Java technology
  on the web with Java applets and Java Web Start.

  Speakers:
      - Rich Burridge, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      - Lynn Monsanto, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      - Willie Walker, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  3:20pm-3:50pm
  The Sun Java Desktop: Basic UNIX Accessibility
  In this session we will give a whirlwind overview of all of the
  accessibility features in the Sun Java Desktop System - now shipping as
  part of Solaris 10 (and available as a free download for Intel, AMD, and
  SPARC-based systems).  We will demonstrate keyboard accessibility;
  the AccessX suite of keyboard tools (StickyKeys, SlowKeys, etc.);
  theming with the built-in accessible themes; the open source Gnopernicus
  screen reader/magnifier that is built into the Sun Java Desktop System;
  and the open source GOK dynamic on-screen keyboard that is build into the
  Sun Java Desktop System.  Finally, we will demonstrate all of these
  accessibility technologies working at the initial log-in screen, allowing
  the Java Desktop System to be configured to support accessibility in public
  settings and lab configurations - so that anyone can immediately get
  the accessibility and assistive technologies they need even before they
  have logged into the system.

  Speaker:
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  4:10pm-5:10pm
  Accessible UNIX Productivity Applications
  An accessible desktop is only as interesting - and useful - as the
  accessible applications you can use with it. In this presentation we
  will demonstrate the growing collection of accessible UNIX productivity
  applications, including the StarOffice office suite, the Mozilla web
  browser, the Evolution e-mail and calendar application, and Adobe Reader
  for viewing PDF files.  All of these will be shown with the screen reader,
  magnifier, and on-screen keyboard.  We will demonstrate these accessible
  applications both on the shipping Solaris 10, and the upcoming Sun
  Java Desktop System Release 3 for Linux.

  Speakers:
      - Peter Korn, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      - Pete DeVasto, Adobe Systems