[Accessibility] Draft minutes for 03/23/05 Accessibility meeting

john goldthwaite jgoldthwaite at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 14:31:27 PST 2005

Access workgroup – 3/23/2005

Gunnar Schmidt-      normative
Bill Haneman	-    abstain
Willy -		     normative
Janina Sajka-   -   informative
John Goldthwaite-   informative
Pete Burnet-          normative
George Kraft     normative
Larry Weiss      normative
Earl Johnson
Andreas Gonzales - informative

03/16/05 Minutes approved as posted.
Would like a recap of CSUN but no attendees on the
call today.

Election process review.
March 9 Minutes motion- let people know they will have
a vote in 2 weeks.  If people can’t attend that
meeting, they can vote by email.  Normative or not
normative?

Janina- are we going to allow people not on the call
to vote by email?
George-  it was announced that the vote would be this
week and they should have voted by email by now.
Gunnar-  I had difficulty calling in last week,
thought I missed it.
Janina- no we said that we would take up the procedure
today.  You didn’t miss anything last week.  Does
anyone have a problem voting on the process today?
Does everyone understand the difference between
informative vs. normative?

Voting results above.  total Normative 5, Informative
3

Janina – the next step is to have a committee, George
can you and Earl to handle the election.  Can you come
back next week with a proposed schedule on nominations
and voting.  Can you provide some guidance to the
group on whether the term should be 1 year or 2 year?

George- in the FSG board, they have 2 year terms that
are staggered.  1 year is too short, the  members are
just learning things the first year.
Janina-
George-  I don’t know if you want to use that complex
a process.  Staggered
John- also could have vice chair take over after a
year
George- except you force out a chair that is doing a
good job.
Janina- any opposed to a staggered?  No, okay, which
position will we vote on this year?
Matthew – could we vote on both, the one who gets the
most votes is chair for 2 years, the other vice chair
for 1 year.
Bill- Chair and vice chair or chair and secretary?
Janina- it has been Chair and vice chair but John has
been doing the minutes.
Bill- I’d propose we make vice chair the one year

Janina- spent all week editing the meeting recordings.
 I’m on the wrap up meeting.
Where we have good audio, it is very good.  I have
bumped up volume where needed.  Have also snipped out
sections on logistics, dinner or agenda.  In the
discussion sections I am leaving things in.  There was
good substance in our deliberations.  The bad news is
that we don’t have audio for some sessions, in
particular for the meetings held in the other breakout
room.  The session Peter moderated had reasonably good
audio but you have to listen hard.  Bill did a
thorough recap on the action items and things that
need to be looked at.
Bill- that was the wrap up from day 2?
Janina- I’m thinking of the breakouts from Thursday.
Bill- I have audio recordings for some of these
sessions.  I have 7 large audio files.
Janina- ftp those to me and I will work on them.
ftp.rednote.net incoming directory. You can log in as
anonymous for the incoming directory.   There was one
other class of audio files, on the first day and half
where we trying to video stream.  We have some large
files that I can’t find any audio.  This may just be a
codec that I don’t have.
Bill- is that day one only?
Janina- its day one and day two. I will have to ask
Stewart if he has this material in other format?
John- what was used to create them?
Janina- various tools were used to try to get video
and audio to stream together.  They are ogg files.
George- the hyperlinks say they are audio.
Bill- I just posted them into the irc.
Pete- when I was listening from home, I could hear the
audio so it should be there.  I was using windows.
Janina- if you can get them in Windows, we should be
able to get it in Linux.
Bill- they may be Ceora, they are very big files,
about 25mb each.

Janina- beginning with Bill’s session 9, we do have
audio.   We have good audio
Bill- do we have intelligible audio from the break out
on day 3?
Janina- just from the main room, the other room
recordings aren’t good.
We aught to flag them.  George if I can turn to the
Bill- I’m able to play the ogg files using Real Player
8.  Let me try mission and scope, nope that gives a
404 on these other audio links.  I’ll let George know
which are giving me 404 errors.  I tried session 6 and
I and hear it.  There doesn’t seem to be any video in
it.
Janina- I have problems with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.  1 has
zero bytes.
George-  I don’t see a session 5 files at all.
Bill- I don’t see 5 either.   Session 2 is going to be
a problem its too big, 250mb.
Janina- lets take this back to the list.  John has
check on transcription firm and there are many options
at good rates, here and overseas.  On George’s redone
page, it’s about right, we have the original posted
agenda but we modified that during the course of the
meeting.  We breakouts on day two were moved to day 3.
 We had Bill’s ATI outcomes session the beginning of
day 3.  I’ll send you my recollection of what the
amended schedule was.   It might useful to group the
agenda sessions around our activities.  Should
Earl- this putting urls on the home page?  What would
be link
Janina- should we identify them on the face to face
page?
Bill- I think the first is useful, the second as nice
to have but not important.
Earl-  I had problems finding the workgroup meetings
from the first page.
Bill- I found it by going to the link George sent out
today, I’ve had problems in the past and the
workgroups should be more prominent.
Earl- we should have it when we have multiple
meetings.
Janina- as we get better content, this should be a
valuable resource for users and as an outcome for our
NSF grant.
Earl-  version number for keyboard spec.  Should spec
version be 0.5 or the version during the meeting?
Janina- some of the outcomes included the formation of
groups.  They are already active on freedefcon.  There
were several groups that got started that don’t have
homes.  Do we want to host the kernel and Braille
groups?  If not where should they go?
Bill-  I’d like to see the Braille activity in
freedesktop.org since there is some activity there
already.
Janina- Willy, what about kernel boot loader?
Willy- perhaps we should go off to tiano to set up
something.  Intel Bios standard?
Janina- lost the email with contact info for the Intel
people.
Bill- I’m worried that the BIOS standard is out of
scope
Janina- don’t know that we’re going to have FSG
standard in BIOS or bootloader.  There were people
interested in those.
Bill-  I could see kernel as an area FSG could move
into but BIOS I don’t know.  That’s a couple of jumps
out of scope.
Janina-  we know there is interest – Willy, you’re
suggestion hat Tiano host the activity?
Willy- yes, let’s start it there and not create an
activity here.
Janina- is the wider scope appropriate in Tiano?
Willy- that’s a hard question,  … it costs little to
start a list and start doing things.  ,.. Do actual
coding under Tiano.
Janina- because the discussion are wider?  Anyone have
objections to this activity: Kernel, BIOS, Loader.
Willy- seems pretty out of scope for freedesktop.
Janina- I guess we don’t have a good home for this
now; we can talk about it next week.  On the agenda
for next week, we may have the opportunity for another
small grant for a face to face.  It would me smaller
so we would need to see what we should try to do.  We
should get the kernel, Bios, bootloader people
together.  Some help from the Canadian government-
$5-10K.  We need to decide what we’d like to do with
it.  Another topics for next week?