[Accessibility] Linux in the classroom

Sandy Gabrielli spiraljetty at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 14:44:41 PST 2005

Hey guys,
I'm working on some proposals that might end up
utilizing Linux Accessibility tools in regular
classrooms.

Here is the part that has me a litle concerned.  What
about the teachers?  You notice I'm not too concerned
about the kids.  Most teachers have some understanding
of the systems that they have been using from the
standpoint of whatever software and OS they have been
given.  They often aren't technical so they rely on IT
support folks at their school, possibly AT support
people, friends and relatives or even students and
parents, for technical support.  They have to rely on
training and documentation provided by the AT
companies that they purchase special needs equipment
for help.

In your opinion, what is the current state of the
documentation/training/support for linux accessibility
solutions?   I'm not sure.  I know that there is an
advantage to using Linux over the net to say
Windows(argh) because much of the maintinace and
installations can be done remotely.

Is anyone actively setting up ways to train teachers
or end users in a way that makes it very very easy to
adopt linux?

Sandy Gabrielli
Senior Software Engineer, Archimedes Hawaii Project
University of Hawaii
879 N King Street
Honolulu, HI 96817-4514
Ph: (808) 832-3729