[Accessibility] Accessibility minutes 10/26/2005

John Goldthwaite jgoldthwaite at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 12:19:22 PDT 2005

10/26/05 Accessibility meeting

Attendees:
Gunnar Schmidt
Olaf Schmidt
Bill Haneman
Janina Sajka
John Goldthwaite
George Kraft
Doug Beattie
Earl Johnson

Janina has a conflict for next week so the next
session will be in two weeks, November 9.
Bill- I have a conflict for Friday on the AT-SPI
call so that will need to be rescheduled.

Earl-Keyboard access spec is out.  Looking for
feedback on the content, please respond by the
end of next week.  Next step is as a release
candidate.

Janina- congratulations.

Earl-
Janina- do we want to have any PR around it?
Earl- not for the FSG, I thought we would save
that for the actual 1.0
Janina- how long should we put it out for
comment?
Earl- normally I’d say two weeks.  The other ones
usually have it open for a month.  We need to
send it to the right lists.  We do want to PR the
1.0 and have the FSG there.

Janina- the agenda is to get the draft for the
NSF report.  No one has commented on the format
for the report.  My sense is that the NSF wants
high level that gives them an idea of what we did
and that they got value for the money.  We should
add URI’s so they can get more detail if they
wish.   Lets look at the proposed outline.

Earl- sending text to the list for review
Bill- it wouldn’t hurt to compress these
paragraphs a bit.  This mentions the charter of
the keyboard group which we didn’t do in the
other sections.   We should either add that to
the others or drop it here.
Janina- the statement refers to it
Bill- the following documents were presented in
draft form.  They have been revised and released
as a draft spec.
Janina- early versions were presented and have
been revised and are ready for review as draft
spec.
Bill- “laid the groundwork for these two
documents.”   We are just claiming that we laid
the groundwork for the two documents.  That
information if important but it sounds like it
belongs somewhere else.  We must have the charter
on line somewhere and we could point to it in the
report.

Janina- I’ll use this discussion as my reference
and make edits tomorrow morning.  I’ll send it
out to the list for review.

Gunnar- question on line in attendee list - C
Libre?
John- those are the attendees during day one of
the conference from my notes.  I must have missed
that person’s name.
Gunnar- that should be Sebastien Sable     Libre-
braille
there is also Marco Skambraks name that is messed
up.  We have the names in the registration page.

George- I have that in the conference web page.
John- I’ll check with the list and correct the
list.
Gunnar- do we want to include the people that
were on IRC?
Janina- I think its good to have the complete
list,
Gunnar- I also know there are several people that
have listened to the conference recordings
afterward.
Doug- we could say they participated post
conference
Janina- If there is no objection, I’m for
including those names.  The keyboard statement
sounds complete.  If anyone has any comments on
the overall statement, let me have it.  Comments
on Bill’s AT/SPI statement?

Bill- I think including Olaf’s statement in the
keyboard section is important.  We should say
that KDE has added support for the keyboard spec.
 Does anyone have an issue with my statement that
we reached a consensus on AT/SPI at the
conference?

Janina- I agree with the assertion.
Bill- [reads text]
Earl- the language is okay but we’ll want to
allow more time for people to review it.  We only
have 7 or 8 people on the call.
Janina- will send out the draft tomorrow, if
there are no changes, we’ll send it to NSF at
close of business Friday.
Doug- you have something about published at ..
But there is no link.
Bill - its below, move it to that location.

Olaf- [ reads draft on Audio ] KDE announces that
code supports the keyboard spec.   Discussion on
screen reader, continued afterward.
Janina- we had quite a bit of debate on what
approach is most appropriate.  The audio
environment is not all that well settled.
Doug- Because we there face to face, we were able
to have a very good discussion that would be
difficult to achieve online.
Olaf- could you write that?
Janina- yes, I’ll send that
Olaf- KDE speech dropping XX in favor of speech
dispatcher.  Merging
I made two small corrections in the language and
have sent it to the list.

Janina- I’ll work on the draft tomorrow, John,
can you help with that?
John- yes

Doug- are you involved with something in
Massachusetts?
Janina- yes, there are some complaints from
consumer organizations in Massachusetts.  I have
been involved in a couple of meeting about
getting higher levels of accessibility.  There
are not user agents out there that read and write
Open document format that people can use.  There
is a whole process involved
Earl- which user groups?
Janina- Bay State ACB, Bay State NFB, the
commission on disabilities from the Governor’s
office and representatives from the Commission
for the Blind.
There are two issues.  One is the ODF spec
itself, there has never been an analysis of the
spec with respect to accessibility.  The second
is user agents that will read the Open documents-
calendars, etc.  The gap analysis and working
with companies.  There is concern that the roll
out schedule is just too fast.  They are trying
to do it by January 2007.

The future of Microsoft accessibility is also in
doubt.  They are talking about UI-automation and
how accessibility will work with that is not
clear.

Janina- Is any one going to be involved with
Linux World at Frankfurt? There is a W3C meeting
at Stuttgart about that time.