[Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi] Re:ATK implementation for complex content, particularly HTML (based on last night's meeting discussion)

Aaron M Leventhal aleventh at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 5 11:35:28 PDT 2006

Thanks Bill.

The rest of your changes make sense to me.

Question: in a list of checkboxes I assume we just use ATK_ROLE_CHECK_BOX
instead of ATK_ROLE_LIST_ITEM. What about in a tree view with checkable
items? Don't use ROLE_TREE_ITEM, but use ATK_ROLE_CHECK_BOX there as well?

- Aaron

Aaron Leventhal
IBM web accessibility architect
Voice: 781-583-4083
Tie line: 364-5945
http://www.mozilla.org/access

Bill Haneman <Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM>
04/05/2006 02:16 PM
Please respond to
Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM

Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM at IBMUS
cc
FSG Accessibility <accessibility at freestandards.org>,
"accessibility-atspi at freestandards.org"
<accessibility-atspi at freestandards.org>,
accessibility-atspi-bounces at freestandards.org, Catherine
Laws/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
Subject
Re: [Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi]   Re:ATK  implementation for

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 22:49, Aaron M Leventhal wrote:
> I have posted the modified new-atk.html from Bill Haneman to
> mozilla.org.  Thanks Bill for putting the new doc together.
>
> Current proposal: http://www.mozilla.org/access/unix/new-atk.html
> Obsolete proposal:
> http://www.mozilla.org/access/unix/new-atk-obsolete.html
>
> I'm still happy with the proposal, but we do need to go over the
> changes to the Q&A section.
>
> For example:
> Q. How is the checkable state of a menuitem, treeitem or listitem
> exposed?
> Current answer: A. See ATK_STATE_CHECKED, AtkAction, and
> ATK_ROLE_CHECK_BOX, etc.
> Obsolete answer:  A. There is a role_check_menu_item or
> role_radio_menu_item. List items could contain checkboxes. Trees could
> contain checkboxes and RELATION_NODE_CHILD_OF.
> New question: How does ATK_STATE_CHECKED and ATK_ROLE_CHECKBOX help me
> with something that is a menuitem? I want to know if its checkable.
> Are we supposed to expose the checkbox as a menuitem?

We have ATK_ROLE_CHECK_MENU_ITEM and ATK_ROLE_RADIO_MENU_ITEM for these
sorts of situations; these imply "CHECKABLE".

On a similar note, we have ATK_STATE_EXPANDABLE for items with
expanders, not sure if they ever appear in menus or not.