[Accessibility] TTS API Inquiry

Janina Sajka janina at freestandards.org
Wed Apr 19 07:23:49 PDT 2006

I'm writing you at James Ferrans suggestion.

I chair the Accessibility Workgroup in the Free Standards Group. One of
our recent activities is focussed on developing an API for TTS to
address the particular requirements of users who rely on TTS as an
alternative to video screens--typically people who are blind, in other
words. We are, consequently, very interested in all other
standardization activity relating to TTS applications. At the very
least, we would want to insure we don't clash. And, of course, to the
extent practical, we would prefer to fold in our requirements into wider
industry standards.

We are familiar with the SSML activity in the W3C. Does the API spec
James references below extend beyond that. Could you perhaps supply some
pointers where we could read the proposed specs? I do understand this
work is quite far along, but I would very much want our people to take a
look nevertheless.

Thank you for your help.

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.240.715.1272

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to http://www.ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.