[Accessibility] [Kde-accessibility] Orca/KDE Integration

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 31 10:30:37 PDT 2006

Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

>[ Bill Haneman ]
>

>>>It would be great if you could review the new version and make additions
>>>and corrections where appropriate.
>>>

>>Sure, thanks Olaf!  I'll do that.
>>

>Thanks.
>
>I had a look at your questions and tried to clarify the text to address them.

Thanks Olaf!

By the way I'll be mostly offline until next Thursday, so don't be
surprised if I fail to reply to new comments right away.

>I was unsure about some of them:
>* The system bus can only be written to by the Kernel, so it cannot be used
>for the sudo case as suggested by you. But can't this be considered as a
>special case of emote access support?
>
>* I clarified what I meant by having Qt support both atk and D-Bus, but I am
>not sure whether I fully understood your question here.
>
>Is OpenOffice currently accessible with Gok if you start both from a KDE
>desktop?

Yes, IF you start gconfd and set the gconf key, or set the GTK_MODULES
environment variable.  Both of those are sort of hacks, and the gconf
key dependency should be gone in gnome 2.17 (i.e. soon after the current
freeze lifts).  The intention is that the desktop's session manager
(either gnome-session or KDE's session manager) will launch
at-spi-registryd if AT support is desired, and thus GOK will detect this
instead of checking gconf.

So the short answer is "yes, though you might need a small hack to
bootstrap things in the current version".

Bill