[Accessibility] Draft for desktop statements

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Jan 4 12:23:04 PST 2006

Hi!

In the OSDL mailing list archive I found a draft for the suggested statements,
but I don't know whether this is the latest draft.

The newest draft is supposed to be passed on to the various Linux desktop
communities (KDE, GNOME, X.org, FreeDesktop.org, Firefox and OpenOffice), but
it seems this has been delayed for some of those groups because of the
Christmas holidays.

http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2005-December/000579.html

Accessibility is currently only mentioned indirectly by saying "HCI efforts",
but I will ask to make this a full bullet point instead saying:

"Specifically ... we will continue and enhance our joint efforts to make the
Linux desktop accessible to users with disabilities. We will continue to work
towards open accessibility standards and towards a common accessibility
architecture as described in the Statement of Intent
( http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yweb/forms/soi.php )".

Independently of this addition we should discuss about whether we want to
co-sign some or all of the declarations as FSG Accessibility.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of