[Accessibility] Draft for desktop statements

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Jan 6 09:51:48 PST 2006

Hi!

In the meantime I have contacted Aaron about the statement, and he has changed
the text to clearly mention the need for joint accessibility efforts. The
text mentions FSG Accessibility several times by name now.

Aaron posted the new draft to the OSDL mailing list, together with a link to
our Statement of Intent and a general description of our work:
http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2006-January/000698.html

Aaron was a bit too quick in saying that we are willing to adopt the statement
and to add it to our web site. I only said that I will suggest his. Did the
others have the time yet to review the exact text? Are there any objections
to adding our name to the new draft as one of the groups supporting this?
This would help a lot to raise the awareness of accessibility in general and
FSG Accessibilty in particular.

I am especially interested in feedback from Bill and Peter, because you are
Gnome developers and a response from the Gnome community to the wording of
the statement is still missing. At the OSDL meeting, it was agreed that Jeff
Waugh would collect responses from Gnome developers, but he seems to have
been very busy during the last weeks. I really hope Gnome will adopt this as
planned, because I believe this kind of cooperation is needed.

Any other comments on the wording of the text are of course also very welcome.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of