[Accessibility] FSGA Teleconference Agenda, Wednesday 28 June

Olaf Jan Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Jul 5 10:59:57 PDT 2006

[ George Kraft ]
> Do you know if there is a feature request for this and if there is a
> resource identified to work on it?

Yes, we want to use AT-SPI for a number of KDE-based assistive technologies
(NoKey, Gunnar's magnifier, a vastly improved version of kmousetool). Our
existing accessibility aids in KDE are held back from improving by the fact
that AT-SPI is currently tied to GNOME via the use of Bonobo and the lack of
a suitable non-glib-based free software CORBA implementation for C++.

Harald Fernengel (from Trolltech) is currently at a KDE developer meeting and
working on a DBUS variant of AT-SPI and a DBUS-based poke tool. One other KDE
developer has expressed interest in helping to port Orca to DBUS. But all
this is a very recent development. I hope Harald will be able to provide more
information (including a performance test) soon.

I know that it requires resources to port the existing assistive technologies
to DBUS. But it would take even more resources to make the CORBA-based AT-SPI
variant work with KDE and to then do the DBUS migration later, and no KDE
developer is willing to spend time on this.

The development version of KDE has migrated away from DCOP to DBUS. Stable
DBUS bindings will be part of the Qt 4.2 release. For this reason it makes a
lot of sense to us to also use DBUS for accessibility, and it is definately
the way we will go. I do not know how long it will take to write DBUS support
for the GNOME side, but as things currently stand, not using DBUS for AT-SPI
would mean not using AT-SPI in KDE.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of