[Accessibility] getting orca included in gnome 2.16

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Sat Jun 10 17:40:23 PDT 2006

Greetings,

To toss my $0.02 into this discussion...

It has proven very useful to the GNOME accessibility project - and to
advancing the support for assistive technologies and the implementation
of ATK and AT-SPI - to have a screen reader, screen magnifier, and
on-screen keyboard included as a formal part of GNOME.  By 'blessing' AT
in these categories, it has brought far greater awareness of AT to GNOME
developers & UNIX distributions, and has led to a lot of compatibility
testing, bug finding, and bug fixing.

Given that it is general GNOME policy to make one product in any given
category the 'default' product that a formal part of the GNOME desktop,
I am personally delighted that they have chosen to create such a
category for screen reader, screen magnifier, on-screen keyboard, and
text-input alternative (Dasher).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,