[Accessibility-atspi] Re: [Accessibility] Two diffferent ATK implementations for HTML document structures

Aaron M Leventhal aleventh at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 1 21:13:29 PST 2006

> If you think there is an emerging consensus about semantic differences
> between "labelled" and "described", I would think RELATION_DESCRIBED_BY
> would be a natural addition to the ATK/AT-SPI set.

We would also get RELATION_DESCRIPTION_FOR right?

There is a consensus now. We have a separation between label and
description in both DHTML accessibility and newly emerging standards for
exposing relations on Windows using accNavigate. A description is
help/hint text, which may or may not be spoken.

> That seems correct to me, i.e. the left hand label applies to the right
> hand UI component.  So I guess I would be one of those people who would
> apply "LABELLED_BY" in this case.

What if it's a different widget than a button? What if you want to expose
the labelledby relationship as a rich content subtree instead of just a
piece of text and you still have a separate description. What if you have
both a DHTML labelled_by and described_by relation you want to expose

[ ] Use the Star flag for emails untouched for ____ days
The star flag can be used to collect unread emails in danger of being
ignored.

Checkboxes are no the only widgets which could have a complex subtree for
a label.

Reasons for needing description:
- In some cases the label is a complex subtree which includes the current
text for another input field
- A description may or may not be spoken by a screen reader depending on
the verbosity
- The screen reader may choose to implement a "more information" or
"describe this" key which needs to know where the description is
- Screen readers will often choose to read the label first, then the
widget type, and then finally the description (most important to least).
This allows the user to shut the screen reader up as soon as they hear
what they need.

- Aaron

Aaron Leventhal
IBM web accessibility architect
Voice: 781-583-4083
Tie line: 364-5945
http://www.mozilla.org/access

Bill Haneman <Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM>
03/01/2006 04:40 PM

Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM at IBMUS
cc
Peter Korn <Peter.Korn at Sun.COM>, accessibility-atspi at freestandards.org,
accessibility at freestandards.org,
accessibility-atspi-bounces at freestandards.org
Subject
Re: [Accessibility-atspi] Re: [Accessibility] Two diffferent ATK

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 10:32, Aaron M Leventhal wrote:
> I can answer some of these:

> In that case (and for many elements) we'll be looking at the element
> to see if there is any reason we need to create an object for it. If
> for some reason someone made it focusable, created actions for it, or
> created relations for it, then it needs it's own node. Otherwise we
> can just use the CSS to describe the text attribute run.

I agree; this seems like the intended use of AccessibleText's
TextAttributes API.  As Peter points out, keeping what semantics are
available seems desirable, even if that means "redundant" attributes,
i.e. both "css:font-style=italic" and "em" (not sure the right namespace
for the latter).

> The image file name would be exposed for the case where there is no
> alt or title for an image, and the screen reader needs to make
> something up via a heuristic.

There's another way in AT-SPI to do this; if images implement
StreamableContent (which ultimately we expect/intend/hope they will),
then StreamableContent provides not only for getting the backing data,
but for getting a URI which in most cases would include the filename.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> I suppose someone might argue with me on this that "Connection
> settings" is just the name and therefore the labelledby relation is
> still available.

That seems correct to me, i.e. the left hand label applies to the right
hand UI component.  So I guess I would be one of those people who would
apply "LABELLED_BY" in this case.

> However, you could do this for another control where the label needed
> to be called out with a relation, and there was some specific hint
> description text for that control. Labels and descriptions are just
> distinct, especially in DHTML accessibiliy, and we want to clearly
> document that description is really like in-the-dialog help text.

Bill