[Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-kbd] KDE's implementation of the Keyboard Access Functional Specification, RC1

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 16 07:13:48 PST 2006

Hi Gunnar, All:

I have reviewed your document and comments, and attach my specific
comments inline.  They are included alongside your "###" and "##"
comments, in italic between the phrases "My Opinion" and "- WPH".

I think that only one of the cases you cite is problematic for KDE.  I
think that the SlowKeys and StickyKeys accessibility features should
have a "never time out" option.  This should be required for conformance
to the FSG specification.  However I do think that the FSG spec should
be amended to require only a single boolean control for this, rather
than separate timeout controls for each keyboard accessibility feature,
and will suggest this.

You have pointed out some other cases where the spec is somewhat
nonspecific, for instance whether certain features such as 'StickyKeys'
should be configurable when they are inactive.  I think the answer is
'no', and the spec should probably include wording to this effect.
There are also a couple of MouseKeys values where the suggested
granularity seems unduly small at the minimum end.  This may make
implementation and conformance unnecessarily difficult, and I will
propose that those values be amended in the spec as well.

Thanks a lot for doing this review!

best regards,

Bill