[Accessibility] Draft Minutes: FSGA On March 15

Janina Sajka janina at freestandards.org
Tue Mar 28 19:19:11 PST 2006

FSG Accessibility Mtg
Wednesday, 15 March 2006
By Bill Haneman

present:

Olaf Schmidt
Gunnar Schmidt
Bill Haneman
Janina Sajka
George Kraft
Doug Beattie
Earl Johnson

Mar 15, 2006

1. Last meeting/minutes/etc?

* it's been 3 weeks since we met.
* not sure that we have minutes from last meeting.

(Small group today, mainly because of CSUN.)

Brief Items:

1) Janina: please check your contact data if you haven't done so, for accuracy
   (on this web site)

2) Janina: how shall we prune the list?  Suggestion: if someone hasn't
   participated in last F2F or on calls since, we prune them.
   Doug:: What about active email posters (who otherwise don't meet criteria?)
   George: Could parallel our voting criteria.
   Janina: Thanks, sounds good; shouldn't we reuse that criterion set then?
   (general agreement).
   Janina: Will take action to refresh the list accordingly, giving those
   being cut the opportunity to respond via email first.

3) Janina: Seeking to contact Matthew Wilcox (ideally, by phone).

Old Business:

1) Keyboard spec:
   Final copy has not gone to the list.  This may be a _little_
   premature.  George has compiled the most recent (final?) specs.  He may be
   missing one file from Earl.  Gunnar's email may have revealed a few other
   tweaks that need to be made.
   Gunnar has produced a document describing how KDE 3.5 implements the
   existing draft specification; he has identified four points of difference,
   and these differences may merit discussion.
   Bill: I agree that the specification should be questioned one more time in
   light of some of Gunnar's observations.  Bill will take an action to do
   this via email in the next week. Earl: would you look at both the spec and
   the test assertions, together?  Bill agrees.  Earl: we can review the
   current draft for look-and-feel anyhow.  Request feedback/guidance from
   FSG.
   Earl will be away for up to two months, starting March 17.
   Bill: I also will be on sabbatical for two months starting April 3.
   Next step: After review, this group should vote (hopefully to approve) and
   then forward the approved spec with the recommendation that it become an
   FSG standard (Keyboard 1.0).  George will find and forward the appropriate
   forms and help fill them out to follow up with the FSG
   approval/standardization process.
   George: Thinks the KDE question about how GNOME and KDE currently meet
   these needs is important, since it establishes whether the spec is inline
   with the current practice, or adds significant burden to existing desktops,
   etc.  Bill: Should probably do the same with respect to GNOME.  We also
   want to avoid specifying something unimplementable via XKB without good
   reason, for reasons George cites above (undue burden concerns of FSG
   Board). George: If a spec isn't currently met by existing systems, it can
   still be endorsed by FSG, but no branding will take place.

2) AT-SPI discussions:
Trying to determine a teleconference time before Bill goes on sabatical.

3) Audio:
   Discussions are still ongoing.  Gunnar: Perhaps this needs to wait until
   there is some implementation, before taking the API specs forward.  Bill:
   One point worth examining again is the issue of queueing versus
   pre-emption, in dealing with sequential speech requests (to the driver).
   Janina: We're probably a long way from having a standard here, but it's
   important to come up with recommendations.

--

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.240.715.1272

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to http://www.ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.