[Accessibility] Advice sought. KOffice and exposing document content

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Sat May 13 08:00:38 PDT 2006

The KOffice developers are currently beginning a major redesign and
refactoring effort as they adapt KOffice to the Qt4/KDE4 libraries.  As most
of you aware, KDE plans to adapt the AT-SPI for exposing accessible content.

Since KOffice applications are "document" processors, an important
consideration is exposing the internal content of documents in an accessible
way.  I am seeking advice and guidance from this group on how we should go
about this.

I have found the following documents that discuss exposing document content
via AT-SPI.

http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yspecs/atspi/adoc/ADOC_ATSPI.htm
http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yspecs/atspi/adoc/ADOC_ATK.htm
http://www.mozilla.org/access/unix/new-atk.html

The last one is HTML only and the middle one is for the ATK, which KDE won't
be using.   Discussions on these documents seem to have died out on this
list.  How relevant are they to KOffice today?

What advice would you offer the KOffice devs for making documents accessible
via AT-SPI?

--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)