[Accessibility] Goal of AT-SPI inclusion of AT-SPI

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Nov 10 05:53:15 PST 2006

[ George Kraft IV, Do., 9. Nov. 2006 20:41 ]
> Get the current libspi ABI into the LSB as an optional specification.
> Educate folks on what it is and how to use it.  By the 2nd round, if
> there is an alternative implementation then it can be safely uplifted or
> replaced.

Are you in favour of dropping the idea of an IDL spec, or are you in favour of
releasing both an IDL spec and an ABI spec (as optional LSB module)?

> PS: In the past the LSB has used the "optional" status for pThreads,
> Realtime, and Qt.  All are critical components, but the implementations
> at the time were not considered mature enough to standardize.

Some more detailed background information:

Qt 3.3 and Gtk were included in the LSB directly (without optional status
beforehand).

The Qt4 implementation was considered mature enough, but Red Hat did not know
yet whether it would be present in their next distribution release. They also
had general objections to the approach of asking distributors what future
versions will include, and emphasised that the LSB is a trailing standard
(i.e. only documenting what is already shipped).

We decided to release Qt4 as a non-mandatory "future directions" module, and
to take a similar route for other future modules.

Olaf