[Accessibility] [lsb-discuss] Motif and LSB

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 16 13:42:47 PST 2006

Sorry if I muddy these waters a little bit...

There's some work that was done in the early 1990's for Motif that was
published informally as a v0.2 spec in 1993 and was more officially
published in 1995:

http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~keith/pubs/xresource-95.pdf

Phew.  It's been a while and RAP is old and outdated.  One of the core
components of RAP, however, has always been kind of a pet of mine: a
programming-language-independent *protocol* versus a
programming-language-dependent API.

I often wonder if it will ever be possible (or desirable) for graphical
platforms such as GNOME, KDE, Windows, and the Mac to agree to a common
accessibility protocol.  While I think a common solution certainly could
potentially make life easier for cross-platform application developers
(think of Firefox and its need to support both MSAA and AT-SPI) and
cross-platform assistive technology developers (do any exist?), I've
sensed a bit of resistance from others when I've broached this subject
with them.  In any case, it seems as though we may have a potentially
viable and ubiquitous transport/communication mechanism for this
protocol: web services.

Will