[Accessibility] [Accessibility-atspi] [Kde-accessibility] Orca/KDE Integration

Éric Bischoff ebischoff at nerim.net
Fri Sep 1 01:49:41 PDT 2006

Le Vendredi 1 Septembre 2006 08:20, Oliver Braun a écrit :
> > Yes, IF you start gconfd and set the gconf key, or set the GTK_MODULES
> > environment variable.  Both of those are sort of hacks, and the gconf
> > key dependency should be gone in gnome 2.17 (i.e. soon after the current
> > freeze lifts).  The intention is that the desktop's session manager
> > (either gnome-session or KDE's session manager) will launch
> > at-spi-registryd if AT support is desired, and thus GOK will detect this
> > instead of checking gconf.
>
> actually I think there are a few more hacks involved to get this to
> work: OpenOffice.org will not even load its Gtk+ graphics backend when
> detecting a KDE desktop (but use the KDE backend instead). One would
> have to override this by setting SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN to "gtk", which I
> would expect to have negative impact on the KDE theming support.
>
> The other thing is that OOo currently uses the gconf key (via Gconf
> config backend) to disable a few performance optimizations that clash
> with accessibility support. The most prominent probably is that setting
> the text of menus in OOo is usually delayed until the parent menu gets
> actually opened, which is unacceptable for e.g. Gok. The KDE config
> backend of OOo does not yet support this setting because it was not
> clear what to KDE/Qt setting to map it to, so it might be necessary to
> additionally set OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP environment variable to "gnome".

Changing the desktop to GNOME just for accessibility issues is a bit violent,
and probably not what the users want if they run it under KDE.

I am willing to help with KDE accessibility support in OpenOffice.org. There
are already places for that in the configuration backends. We just did not
enable anything because (tell me if my memories are wrong, Oliver), it made
little sense without a Qt accessibility bridge. And this one is quite a piece
of software. Any volunteers of course welcome.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I said something wrong.

--
La monoculture informatique fragilise le système d'information, elle est aussi
toxique pour les données de l'entreprise. (Guy Brand)