[Accessibility] MINUTES Re: FSGA Teleconference Agenda, Wednesday 20 September

Bill Haneman Bill.Haneman at Sun.COM
Wed Sep 20 11:51:26 PDT 2006

Wed Sep 20 13:05:47 CDT 2006
Janina Sajka, FSG
Olaf Schmidt, KDE
Gunnary Schmit, KDE
Bill Haneman, Sun
Aaron Leventhal, IBM
Cathy Laws, IBM
George Kraft, IBM
Larry Weiss, IBM
Expecting Earl Johnson to attend the telephone conference to help move
the Keyboard specification forward.

Janina announced that the she is working with the JTC1 accessibility
workgroup. (interrupted by a11y IRC)
Danish instatute for the blind.

Janina: (wrapping up reason for Brussels trip.)

Will go to Copenhagen next week, several meetings including Danish
Institute for the Blind.
Will skip our meeting next week because of this meeting and the KDE
meeting which will be held next week.

Aaron:
Jon Gunderson demonstrated some of the work w/Firefox, has been asked to
email info to moz-accessibility mailing list.  Have been working over
some dynamic content issues, which is Aaron's primary focus at the
moment.  Original focus was mostly on users w/visual and cognitive
disabilities; have resolved potential issues/questions regarding utility
for users with mobility-related disabilities.  The working draft is
still delayed at the moment.  The Firefox accessibility work is moving
forward quite well.

Janina: Call for comments, press release from w3c, is anticipated.  Some
firefox technology is included in what will be released for discussion.

[Gary Cramblitt joins]

Janina: what are the ATK/AT-SPI versions one would prefer?

Aaron: these enhancements to Firefox are not of immediate end-user
benefit yet.  They are mostly interesting to R&D and developers at the
moment.

Janina: what version(s) of gail/at-spi/atk would you recommend, Bill?

Bill:  CVS HEAD of gail is of interest; gail 1.9.2 is the latest
available release.  1.9.3 is planned for next week, and will include
numerous significant fixes.

[David Zeuthen joins; we do a round of introductions.]

David: working for RedHat for ~2 years in Mass, originally Danish.
Working mostly with HAL and desktop/D-Bus projects to date.  For past
year has been working on OLPC, but is now returning to RH desktop team.
Will be spending time maintaining a11y stack in Fedora, looking forward
to learning more about accessibility.  Would hope perhaps to work on
things like hardware discovery for braille devices, etc. but for now
plans to familiarize self with accessibility stack.

Janina: You have just made a lot of friends!

[end of brief items]

Janina: Since Earl isn't here, not sure what we can say about keyboard
spec...  Bill, any progress?

Bill: Will re-send Will's edits to George;

George: I can do the diff.

Bill: Thanks!  I'll send the last spec version to the kbd list - those
on the list please read one last time to look for places where
explanatory notes are really required - if we can anticipate questions
or points of confusion we will save time during the public comment
phase.  I think the kbd spec is basically ready, only some minor changes
to the test assertions remain to be done.

Janina: Any news on the AT-SPI spec?

Bill: We should have some better plans on how to mesh the FSG
spec/standardization process and roadmap for AT-SPI with the KDE team's
roadmap after next week's meeting.  There will be an
AT-SPI/KDE/accessibility BOF at 10:00 am Irish time on Wednesday.  Will
try to meet informally before then.

[adjourned :51; will meet again in 2 weeks]

Bill