[Accessibility] IRC Log Minutes Draft; A11y Teleconf on March 28

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Wed Apr 4 08:14:31 PDT 2007

A11Y Telecon Log [2007-03-28]

Prepared by Gregory Rosmaita (identified as oedipus below)
Edited by Janina Sajka

Start of #a11y buffer: Wed Mar 28 14:52:47 2007

* Now talking in #a11y
* oedipus was disconnected and am back - can scribe on IRC
* oedipus oedipus' offer to scribe still stands
<oedipus> JS: short items?  CSUN impressions?
<oedipus> JS: extremely impressed at amount of interest and
  large attendence that have to do with open source /
  standards / architecture; very well attended; only downside
  is that was disappointed that one product working in
  isolation; MythTV TV needs to experience the pain now and move
  to QT 4.3 beta now to pick up accesssibility support in widget toolkit;
  something to move forward on - perhaps a sample app that
  directly supports accessibility; GBH has a lot of experience
  on media side of things - doing all kinds of tweaks to
  software without any reality checks; maybe we need an "open
  dialog" or "open workspace" workshop; will probably have 3
  presentations for CSUN 2008
<oedipus> JS: anyone else?
* oedipus silence
<oedipus> googleplex accessibility presentation at general
  session; would we like to hold A11Y face to face during the
  time of this meeting?  value having accessiblity workshops
  going on - interaction with others working in open source
<oedipus> JS: discuss on next call next week
<oedipus> Q: accessizer (sp?)
* TGM has joined #a11y
* gk4 has joined #a11y
<TGM> http://live.gnome.org/Accerciser
<oedipus> JS: accessible replacement for at-poke; ability to
  probe at entire desktop, single app, properties of all
  widgets, look for problems; tool itself accessible;
  available from gnome site: live.gnome.org/acceerciser
* oedipus thanks TGM
<TGM> sure
<TGM> who's oedipus?
<oedipus> JS: expect to have RPMs for that as soon as code
  stable and bugs cleared up - matter of weeks
<gk4> http://live.gnome.org/Accerciser
<TGM> (this is Michael in Chapel Hill, NC)
<oedipus> David: couple of days..
* oedipus oedipus = Gregory Rosmaita (New Jersey)
<TGM> cool
<oedipus> JS: draft mission statement; needs to reflect our
  changes; 2 more drafts - 1 objection "on behalf of PWD";
  making direct statement of why standards being created
  should be explicitly stated in mission statement; any ideas?
<oedipus> Neil: on behalf of good - shorter the better - whole
  phrase can go
<oedipus> Olaf: wondering if we should limit this paper to
  certain groups of disability which we mentioned; do NOT say
  that this is about disabilities only - some have been
  addressed, some haven't; lots of disabilities that haven't
  been addressed; agreement of society whether you call
  something a disability, a temporary illness, or a different
  sitation of life; is broader better?  accessibility
  featutres can benefit everyone (accessibility is usability
  is accessibility)
<oedipus> JS: can drop "on behalf"
<oedipus> Olaf: add something at end to mention PWD
<oedipus> JS: if you want to suggest something, i'm open to
  it; other than first sentence, rest is pretty much what
  we've had for years
<oedipus> JS: other reactions on how to extend?
<oedipus> JS: pull phrase entirely; olaf will submit an ending
  sentence to point out how accessibility has benefits for
  everyone
<oedipus> JS: ISSUE 3: branding
<oedipus> JS: desire to create open accessibility identity
  beyond scope of linux; always has been an issue that our
  group's scope is wider than just linux
<oedipus> JS: george - were you going to get a local person to
  draft some graphics?
<oedipus> George: what do we want in the icon?
<oedipus> JS: lets discuss
<oedipus> JS: concern is that by the time you spell out
  accessibility, it is too long; concerned about low-vision
  users - should logo itself have much more than A11Y or Open
  A11Y - alt text could expand acronym
<oedipus> Gunnar: A11Y not a widely known term
* oedipus general agreement
<oedipus> Gunnar: logo itself should be easily understood
<oedipus> GJR: cascade of logos with final one an SVG icon?
<oedipus> GJR: cascade: SVG, PNG, JPEG - don't have to declare
  extention for IMG, just name of file, browser picks best fit
  or user's request
<oedipus> JS: A11Y is a nice short tag
<oedipus> Neil: a large number of people aren't going to get it
<oedipus> ?: A11Y - open source accessibility workgroup;
<oedipus> GJR: use ACRONYM to contain A11Y expansion
<oedipus> JS: talk with Rich S of IBM; increase visability;
  Rich and i are meeting with Linux Foundation chair; looking
  at getting handouts made, identify face2face oportunities
<oedipus> JS: W3C doing a lot of work in this area of open
  source and distribution across platforms and apps
<oedipus> JS: anything to take to meeting / phone call?
* oedipus no response
<oedipus> George: models have been rearranged; able to drop
  code before rearrangement; no opportunity to view new
  structure and code, but seems ok
<oedipus> JS: Gunnar, can we agree on 1900 your time? can earl
  do a 10 AM?  wondering if we can use this bridge
<oedipus> Gunnar: which?
<oedipus> JS: keyboard I/O spec - earl wants to be a resource,
  but still limited in time can devote; can get history and
  context from earl so can transition Gunnar into chairing
  that group; should be near finalization; main thing is
  Gunnar's comments and that our doc and test assertions work;
  short meeting tomorrow
<oedipus> JS: what i'm talking about is very mature
  alternative keyboard model and spec - StickyKeys, MouseKeys,
  etc.
<oedipus> George: submitted libatk tests to LSB last summer; have had
  a chance to look at it, but couldn't get it to run;
  programmer just fixed it and resent to LSB this morning;
  interesting thing about tests is use locked-up mini api in
  GDK - tests will test ALL portions of the system; want to
  confirm correct methodology; need help expanding test cases;
  once establish right methodology, can call for more
  volunteers to work
<oedipus> JS: want response from LSB that this is good
  approach, then expand what is being tested, so that we can
  make a module for LSB
<oedipus> George: hook onto their resources - especially
  programmers
<oedipus> JS: don't want to leave it entirely to them - david,
  will Redhat help?
<oedipus> David: have to ask manager due to other commitments
<oedipus> JS: will ping individuals to test ATK as go forward
<oedipus> George: good way for us to get foot in the door
<oedipus> JS: relatively light-weight, but essential
<oedipus> JS: need to finish "how to structure an LSB doc" -
  went to list before CSUN - just resent URI to A11Y list
<oedipus> JS: key is getting LibATK module integrated
<oedipus> JS: pete not here - anything to say about
  IAccessible2 - question concerning eclipse and the GPL
  license - suspect no problem, but does anyone KNOW?
<oedipus> JS: will take that up when pete available
<oedipus> JS: need to dot the i and cross the t
<oedipus> JS: MathML Handlers - telecon on this topic
  scheduled for next week on tuesday at 1pm central time -
  same time as this meeting, just a day earlier - JS will send
  out reminder - use cases and requirements; interesting news
  is that we're not the only ones looking for what we've been
  talking about; unhappiness in W3C about Compound Documents
  ignore MathML
<oedipus> JS: won't be just math - would generalize quickly
  into any domain specific markup
<oedipus> what they did for CDF (Compound Document Format) -
  use OBJECT or EMBED tag, don't deal with how to integrate
  and interact with documents; MathML WG felt CDF
  misrepresenting work, and they don't seem to care
<oedipus> JS: in PF we are committed to not letting this issue
  go...
<oedipus> unfortunately, doesn't address our REAL concerns;
  "these are things we might eventually deal with..." is
  dangerous verbiage
<oedipus> JS: good news: not just accessibility issue; bad
  news: AT devs need compound documents earlier; is it an
  issue for browsers, API, hand-off to third party using
  standard appropriate ways
<oedipus> JS: beginning to become convinced that naming use
  cases and environments not all that will be happening in
  this space
<oedipus> JS: got through list in 40 minutes, rather than an
  hour and 20!
<oedipus> JS: new items?
<oedipus> JS: getting pinged weekly from NSF about where is your report
  - have to rewrite portions, funding issues need more
  concreteness - not just "yeah that's a good idea"
<oedipus> Olaf: intellectual property policy?  software patents
  need to be dealt with - no word from jim
<oedipus> JS: will ask if anything new and when we can expect
  things to be moving again when talk with jim on friday
<oedipus> JS: anything else?  last call - ok, let's yield back
  the balance of our time!
<oedipus> JS: thanks to all
End of #a11y buffer    Wed Mar 28 14:52:47 2007

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org