[Accessibility] Mission Statement Revision Draft #5

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Thu Apr 5 07:05:16 PDT 2007

This fifth draft reflects our discussion on today's telecon. We have
determined to wait another week to see if Olaf has additional language
to propose--as was suggested during our call last week.

You will recall we need a revised statement to identify our FSG legacy
and our current Open A11y identity.

/begin proposed Mission Statement
Proposed Mision Statement (Draft #5
April 4, 2007

First chartered in 2004 as the Free Standards Group Accessibility
Workgroup (FSGA), the Open A11y group functions today within the Linux
Foundation to establish free and open standards that enable
comprehensive universal access to various computing platforms,
applications, and services. Open A11y makes it easier for developers,
ISVs, and distributions to support assistive technologies (AT).
Assistive technologies enable individuals who are blind or visually
impaired to read online text, and provide the means for individuals who
do not have the use of their arms and hands to write and correspond. AT
also enable individuals who cannot speak or hear to participate on the
telephony interfaces of today -- and will support their participation on
the multimodal computer interfaces of tomorrow.

/end proposed Mission Statement

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org