[Accessibility] corrected URI for 7 august minutes and A11y logo update & question

Gregory J. Rosmaita oedipus at hicom.net
Tue Aug 7 17:40:31 PDT 2007

aloha, again -- thanks to PeteB for pointing out to me that i had posted
an erroneous URI -- the correct URI for the minutes of this afternooon's
meeting is:

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Accessibility/Minutes20070807

apologies for any inconvenience -- at least i got the link right on the
Meetings and Minutes page...

if you're interested, what happened is that -- by force of habit --
i appended dot h t m l to the end of the filename, although the server
should be able to deliver the document in either case, but the wiki at
the linux-foundation is extremely picky with URIs, internal and
external, as evinced by a trailing slash at the end of a URI (which is
generally considered "good practice") leads the wiki to try and create
a page named, for example, "Accessibility/" -- that's Accessibility
with a capital A and a trailing slash) if you end the base URI for the
a11y site:

    https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Accessibility

with a trailing slash, it will lead you to the "this page does not yet
exist" template...

apologies as i get the kinks worked out and with the oddities caused
by the linux-foundation's servers, which -- with the migration to
portland, oregon, will be in a far more stable state -- and, when
everything is ported, our request to get the a11y logo placed
immediately next to the linux-foundation's boilerplate
graphic-as-hyperlink, which points to the LF's main entrance...

given that, should i push to make the A11y logo (which will be the
second link if the page is approached linearly/serially) a "skip
directly to content" link, allowing users to jump from the top of the
page directly into the a11y portion of the page?

also, i need someone to provide me with a long description for the
logo, so that i can point the longdesc attribute value to a description
of the logo (besides, i'm curious to know what it looks like!)

so, to summarize:

  1) do we want the logo to serve as a skip to content link?

  2) do we have text for a long description wiki page?

  3) since ALT cannot accept "rich" markup -- or any markup at
     all, should i ask that the entire graphic be encased in
     an ABBR so as to provide an expansion for those unfamiliar
     with the convention?  that could have the unintended
     consequence of masking the ALT text, so the abbreviation
     could be implicitly expanded thus:

            alt="Accessibility (A11y) Working Group"

     which leaves the matter of conveying to users that that the
     logo also serves as a "skip to content" link; i could
     append a "title" attribute to the hyperlink definition (the
     A element) but most screen-readers offer only the following:

           * apeak ALT
           * speak TITLE
           * speak longest

     for graphically defined hyperlinks; onFocus or onHover in
     almost every browser expose the contents of the "title"
     attribute as a ToolTip, save for MSIE, which exposes the
     content of the ALT attribute as a ToolTip onMouseOver,
     onHover, and onFoucus (for example, routing a virtual
     cursor to the object with focus to expose the ToolTip so
     that it can be read to the user)

     the more i write about it, the more i'm convinced that i
     need to mock-up the template using a variety of strategies,
     so that we can choose the most interoperable implementation.
     i don't anticipate the requested changes to be effected
     until the dust settles from the migration of all of the
     linux-foundation's site's content and tools to portland,
     which gives us some time (the implementor who agreed to
     add ALT text to the "news" and "events" tabs in the LF
     wrapper is apparently MIA)

thoughts?  suggestions?  comments?  criticism, anyone?

thanks, gregory.
PENITENT, adj.  Undergoing or awaiting punishment.
              -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
         Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus at hicom.net
     Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
 Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/