[Accessibility] Microsoft/Novell announce UIA on Linux

Michael Meeks michael at ximian.com
Wed Dec 12 04:17:49 PST 2007

Hi George,

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 08:14 -0600, George Kraft wrote:
> It appears this is to bridge ATK to UIA; however, it might be difficult
> to utilize by sophisticated ATs based on AT-SPI.  For now, I'm
> skeptical, because if taken seriously it would disrupt Linux
> accessibility.

	:-) I guess it's been a month & this thread went to the wrong mailbox
(sorry). Hopefully what we plan is clearer now, I guess some more detail
is here.

	http://www.gnome.org/~michael/activity.html#2007-11-09

	Obviously a primary target for us is making Orca work well with C#
Winforms / Silverlight apps, and wrt. disrupting Linux a11y we certainly
hope not, though clearly having more resources working together on the
shared stack may help drive your positive disruption in the
market-place :-)

	Anyhow - I guess Calvin (new & charismatic tech lead of the Novell a11y
project) will table an agenda item with Janina for the next phone
meeting to quickly go over what we plan, and allow questions etc. We're
really looking forward to working closely with you guys.

	HTH,

		Michael.