[g-a-devel] [Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi] D-Bus AT-SPI - The way forward

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Dec 17 05:14:41 PST 2007

Hi Steve,

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:23 +0000, Steve Lee wrote:
> plus I was getting almost continuous desktop lockups (and forget
> using a debugger).

	Heh ;-) sure, from my at-poke days I recall a load of methods that
simply couldn't be called during event emission for various tangled
reasons (in the gail implementations).

> Indeed. For example if you want to print events to see what's going on
> you need to put in a queue to handle it asynch. I've actually now
> decoupled most processing this way at the risk of occasional timing
> issues due to the latency

	Right - and this is the irony of synchronous event delivery: that at
some stage, people do this for ~everything anyway ;-). Of course - the
problem is - switching to a fully async event model (as we had
initially) ends up with horrible produce/consumer rate mis-matches:
hence the desire for a 'flow' concept :-)

	Having said that, it'd be great to build an understanding of what
people do synchronously during event emission & can't do elsewhere: to
add to the events themselves.

	HTH,

		Michael.