[Kde-accessibility] [g-a-devel] [Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi] D-Bus AT-SPI - The way forward

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Mon Dec 17 08:41:44 PST 2007

Steve Lee wrote:
> On 17/12/2007, Willie Walker <William.Walker at sun.com> wrote:
>> o Look at the role of the event source.  Passing this along in the event
>> would prevent a round trip.
>
> Doesn't the EventDetails expansion cover this? It appears to be
> optional if the toolkit supplies but potentially the infrastructure
> could fill it in.
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~billh/at-spi-idl/html/structAccessibility_1_1EventDetails.html

D'Oh!  There it is!  OK, so, now to see if we can take better advantage
of this and the accessible name in pyatspi.

>> o If Orca decides it needs to present something about the event source,
>> we also typically look at the ancestry of the event source.  The main
>> reason for this is to compare the ancestry of the current object with
>> focus to the ancestry of the object that previously had focus so that
>> Orca can present contextual changes in location.  I'm not sure sending a
>> complete ancestry with every event would be desirable, though.
>
> This must be a common requirement as you need to know if a change
> furthet up the tree possibly effects your 'state'

I wonder what the cost would be to send the hierarchy.  I'm not sure how
deep a typical tree would be in the wild, though.

Will