[Accessibility] What is Trolltech doing on Accessibility?

Knut Yrvin kyrvin at trolltech.com
Wed Jan 17 11:27:11 PST 2007

Trolltech has an Accessibility API ready since Qt 3, but used it only
on Windows and Mac OS X due to the lack of a cross-desktop
accessibility infrastructure.  Trolltech now got engineers working
with Accessibility support in Qt version 4.3 for Linux. We are
bridging the gap with some snapshot code accessible:

 http://chaos.troll.no/~harald/qdbusaccessible/

The URL contains now a low-quality flash animation of the D-Bus poke
utility. If anyone knows a better screen-record utility, please let us
know.

Trolltech is committed to a maintainable approach. Our plan includes
interoperations with GNOME. Trolltech is sponsoring gatherings where
developers resolves bottlenecks to get KDE4 out the door. KDE tells
Trolltech that Accessibility is high on the agenda. I suggest that KDE
invites GNOME developer to that work.

Trolltech does it's work in accordance with the plans and
recommendations already decided in the KDE and GNOME projects. GNOME
developers has told us that their CORBA based architecture is
deprecated. Since the GNOME project and several Linux distros are
going for the D-Bus approach, Trolltech does the same with Qt. Thats a
responsibility we undertaken to enable cross-desktop interaction, in
accordance with the goals outlined by LSB.

Trolltech developers will participate at workshops, organised by
accessibility communities. We will share code and experiences with
governmental projects supporting different screen readers etc.

Best regards

Knut Yrvin
--
Community Manager / Developer Tools - Trolltech ASA
cell: + 47 908 95 765, phone: +47 21 60 27 58