[Accessibility] Draft Mission Statement Revision

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Wed Mar 14 11:30:01 PDT 2007

The following is my draft proposal for our Mission Statement. You will
recall we need a revised statement to identify our FSG legacy and our
current Open A11y identity. I have also taken the liberty to expand on
our target audience somewhat, and to change a few verb tenses. You can
see the current statement on our web page: http://a11y.org

/begin proposed Mission Statement
Proposed Mision Statement (Draft)
March 14, 2007

First chartered in 2004 as the Accessibility Workgroup of the Free Standards
Group (FSGA), the Open A11y group functions today within the Linux Foundation
to establish standards that will make Linux, Unix and other free licensed and
open source based applications accessible to persons with disabilities. Open
A11y makes it easier for developers, ISVs, and distributions to support
assistive technologies (AT).  Assistive technologies enable individuals who
are blind or visually impaired to read online text, and provide the means for
individuals who do not have the use of their arms and hands to write and
correspond. AT also enable individuals who cannot speak or hear to participate
on the telephony interfaces of today -- and will support their participation
on the multimodal computer interfaces of tomorrow.

/end proposed Mission Statement

--
NOTE: I suggest we also publish the original press release perhaps
simply linked below this statement.

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org