[Accessibility] Mission Statement Revision Draft #3

Kris Van Hees aedil-access at alchar.org
Tue Mar 27 21:42:35 PDT 2007

Although I have not been able to join the calls for a long time now due to
a very busy (read: hectic) schedule and some work changes, I have been keeping
up with the workgroup where time permits.

My only commentary on the third draft for the mission statement is the
following quote from the first sentence:
"to establish free and open standards on behalf of persons with disabilities"

I don't think the workgroup should make any claim (implied or otherwise) of
working on behalf of any group.  The remainder of the mission statement
already covers disabilities in what seems to me a more appropriate way.  I
do not think that adding the 'on behalf of ...' portion adds value here.
Even though 'on behalf of' is often meant to mean 'for the benefit', it is
also often read as 'as an agent for' which (to me) sends the wrong message.

	Cheers,
	Kris