[Accessibility] Microsoft/Novell announce UIA on Linux

Janina Sajka janina at a11y.org
Fri Nov 9 07:27:57 PST 2007

Steve Lee writes:
> So...will orca and other AT-SPI ATs work with Mono applications that
> correctly expose a11y? Without any changes? Is that the goal?

Precisely. Though, I also understand there are things in UIA that aren't
in AT-SPI, and vice versa. However, the goal is precisely the modular
"plug and play" solution. It has always been the architectural approach,
and it's exciting to see it ever more widewly adopted.

All the more reason for us to nail down how we want this modularity to
work and get meaningful validation tests in the LSB for LSB
ceritifcations that include a11y conformance. I daresay some distros
recently released wouldn't, or shouldn't pass such a thing. We need to
provide the mechanisms that allow them to provide a11y support, then
hold them to it in the LSB validation process.

I did explain this to Microsoft and Novell during the teleconference
where they asked for a quote from me.

Janina