[Accessibility] Codethink AT-SPI D-Bus investigation [FWD]

Gregory J. Rosmaita oedipus at hicom.net
Fri Nov 23 10:19:14 PST 2007

----- FORWARDED EMESSAGE -----
From: Mark Doffman <mark.doffman at codethink.co.uk>
To: gnome-accessibility-devel at gnome.org
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:58:51 +0000
Subject: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI D-Bus investigation

Hello,

We at Codethink have been performing a feasibility study of a port of
AT-SPI to D-Bus. As part of this I have set up a wiki page at gnome live
to track progress and post any results.

http://live.gnome.org/GAP/AtSpiDbusInvestigation

Although the investigation is not complete there are a number of results
up on the Wiki, including some Orca profiling and initial figures for
the comparative performance of D-Bus vs ORBit.

In brief, according to our results, D-Bus is between 2x faster to 5.5x
slower than ORBit at making a method call. ORBit performance is poor
when dealing with object reference arguments, but for other arguments
performs better than D-Bus.

I intend to continue with some more performance testing, for the moment
I would like to profile the use of the AT-SPI interface made by GOK.
Does anyone know of some GOK tests that will give a good idea of the
calls made during normal use?

Thanks to the Mozilla foundation for funding this work, and to Willie
Walker for mentoring the project.

Thanks

Mark Doffman