[Accessibility] Mentioning Open a11y in an article

Steve Lee steve at fullmeasure.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 03:23:00 PDT 2007

Hi, I'm writing an article for the new Python magazine,
http://pythonmagazine.com/, that introduces Linux/Solaris
accessibility and how python is playing apart. So it introduce the
a11y concepts, AT-SPI, pyatspi python AT (Orca, and mentions NVDA) and
GAIL and then gives a brief tour of accerciser. I add a simple code
example of pyatspi as well.

My idea was to strike while the new mag is hot and promote a11y
showing how easy it is to test an application's a11y with accerciser.
A follow up could look at using ATK in applciations.

I also mention iA2 and Open a11y get a mention in the mast head.

They have granted my a 60 day release on the article so It could live
at open a11y if that is felt to be a good place for it (e.g it is not
too AT-API specific).

So I think I have room to beef up the open a11y bit and wonder if
there is any standard blurb that I could cannibalize?

So far I have:

"This accessibility is built on infrastructure called Assistive
Technology Service Provider Interface (AT-SPI) that connects
applications and Assistive Technologies. It is available on the Linux
GNOME desktop and used by bundled Assistive Technology programs along
with applications that use the GTK+ toolkit. Solaris has support as do
programs created with the Java Swing toolkit are accessible and the
"KDE" Linux desktop is adopting and reproducing the infrastructure. On
Windows a new Open Standard "IAccessible2" extends the basic platform
accessibility (MSAA) to have the rich semantics of AT-SPI. Mozilla
supports. Cross platform applications including Mozilla and Open
Office are accessible through AT-SPI and IAccessible2 on these
platforms.

AT-SPI and IAccessible2 are managed by the Open Accessibility Group
who are ensuring they stay open and useful for as many parties and on
as many platforms as possible. They seek participation from all
interested parties and provide resources on their website and
community through mailing lists and teleconferences. "

--
Steve Lee