[Accessibility] Python ATK wrapper - papi

Marcus von Appen mva at sysfault.org
Tue Oct 30 15:44:27 PDT 2007

On, Tue Oct 30, 2007, Steve Lee wrote:

> Sorry for increasing the traffic on this usually quiet channel but
> does anyone know anything about the Python ATK wrapper called papi
> which is part of OcempGUI ?
>
> http://ocemp.sourceforge.net/gui.html
>
> I've not checked the code but If it is good it would fill a gap for
> custom widget writers.

I'm the author of it, so I can answer any question you have.

Papi lacks a good documentation, but I'm working on it. So far you can
rely on any experience you made with ATK as it wraps ATK's structure in
nearly the same way.

In contrast to gail it is not limited to a specific toolkit, instead it
fills the gap between the very low-level at-spi system and specialized
high-level toolkits like gail, so pythonists can add a11y features to
any application, be it console based or GUI-driven.

There's no need to download the whole OcempGUI package as papi is
shipped as a separate module (http://ocemp.sourceforge.net/papi.html).

You also might want to take a brief glance at
http://sysfault.org/atk.html about how to plug ATK into an own
toolkit. It's a real early draft, which lays around there since 2006 and
it will be improved once I laid my hands on the papi documentation. The
paper is surely a good start for toolkit writers, who need to rely on C
or C++ code.

Regards
Marcus